ARA Review by Nasray22 of Bluewater Walkabout

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nasray22
Currently Reading: Raptor Canyon
Bookshelf Size: 22

ARA Review by Nasray22 of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Nasray22 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Bluewater Walkabout.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the book Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin, Tina is living in paradise aboard a boat in the Caribbean islands with her husband, Peter and their two teen-aged sons, Warren and Adam. Tina explains that Walkabout actually meant a walk where someone goes on a journey, under the guidance of a spiritual power. She had the spiritual power and just needed to go for a journey. After twenty years of peaceful living, the family begins a journey to Africa for a wild adventure. The journey has a lot of challenges, she experiences fear, loneliness, boredome and fatigue, not mentioning some illnesses like typhoid, dysentery and staph infections where they stayed but the journey challenges her to reach higher for basic emotional survival.

I believe Tina's story needs to be heard by everyone and act as an encouragement to many women who go through the same challenges as her. Intertwined into her memoir of a brave sailing adventure is a much deeper story about the way women struggle to cope up at home, when trying to have fun, during work and other places in a world that is still very much controlled by men. In spite of Tina’s pain, sorrow and challenges, she had the determination and aspiration to transform her negative experiences into lessons on ways to achieve better living. Her experiences produced a brave, powerful and successful mother, wife and advocate. She achieves all these attributes due to the challenges she went through. These are lessons we all need to learn.

I was so saddened that when Tina got a job in commercial real estate, instead of being happy, the job turns out as hell for her. She hated her job. Men refused to take her seriously and respect her. They accosted her in many occasions. Characters like Al Freeman who kept on using condescending and unofficial names on her like 'honey' and 'girl', and couldn't stick to an official conversation while speaking, really disgusted me. Not mentioning Thomas, who offered her a job and took her for an interview in a hotel suite.Is this a place for interviews? I'm sure many of you would like to read the book and I can't afford to spoil it for you.

I liked the style of the book and the vocabularies the author used which were so fresh. Let alone the editing skills which were awesome. I barely found errors in the book apart from one
which was mere. The author also describes every character vividly and I could nearly see them while reading. I liked how she described Al Freeman, the picture of him was so clear.

I'll rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. This is because of her choice of words which was perfect. The style of the book and the editing was also perfect. I didn't find any foul language or sexual terminologies in the book, so I can recommend the book for everyone to read. This is an inspiration especially for women in a male dominating environment and anyone who faces oppression of any kind.

Congratulations to the author and editor of the book.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”