ARA Review by Ahmed abdelkader 2 of Adrift

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ahmed abdelkader 2
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Ahmed abdelkader 2 of Adrift

Post by Ahmed abdelkader 2 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Adrift.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

ADRIFT (Strong Heart, #2) by Charlie Sheldon

A Spirituality, Hope, and Survival Story

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is a collection of short stories written from various perspectives. All of these threads weave together brilliantly to create a captivating tapestry of hope, spirituality, endurance, determination, and survival. Sheldon builds plots that keep the reader engrossed until the very end.

Every seafaring reader may identify with the challenges of the story's characters in this novel. My nautical pals have informed me that the events depicted in Adrift are based on true events. The catastrophe that befalls the Seattle Express is possibly the greatest nightmare that any mariner could ever have, especially when that mariner is the master of the ship.

“For a captain, losing a ship under any circumstances usually spells the end of the line, career-wise,” says Steve Procida, “but abandoning ship and having the ship retrieved is even worse.”

The Plot of Adrift

The main plot of Adrift takes place in the huge North Pacific Ocean during a ferocious December storm. The Seattle Express is cruising through stormy seas when a fire breaks out. Its crew tries to stay calm as they struggle to move around among the chaos of containers falling out of their places, the ship being rocked by severe seas, and the growing smoke. Sadly, the captain's decision to abandon ship comes after a desperate attempt to discover out where the fire started and put it out. To board the two lifeboats, Steve divides his crew into two teams. Communication between the two teams is broken off as soon as the lifeboats hit the ocean.

Meanwhile, a couple that owns a small towing company 300 miles away on land learns of the catastrophe at sea. They headed out to save the container ship that was on fire. They are hoping for a settlement. The towing company is in financial trouble, and recovering the Seattle Express will help them save their company. The towing crew needs to get to the flaming vessel as soon as possible before the Seattle Express's larger tugs arrives. Will they be able to make it to the ship on time?

The Author of Adrift

Without a doubt, Charlie Sheldon is a superb storyteller. He consistently maintains a high level of tension in his storylines. He clearly portrays the scenes, putting the reader right in the middle of the action.

What I admire best about Adrift is how it portrays the various individuals. Their portrayals are vibrant and eerily accurate. Furthermore, incorporating an old, mysterious faith into the story adds weight and character to the stories. The characters' religiosity keeps their hope afloat at difficult times in their life.

Only a little portion of the plot feels a little unfinished to me. Buckhorn's mining intentions do not receive much attention from the locals. Because the land is a part of the tribal characters' cultural basis, I believe this is significant in the plot. I wish Sheldon had spent a little more time on this. However, I recognize that the author must have a rationale for briefly touching on the subject. After all, this is merely a side story to the main story.

Despite this particular perspective, I did not find anything in the book to hate. Adrift has a 5 out of 5 star rating from me. Anyone who enjoys adventure stories should read this book. Seafarers' families and loved ones should also read it. So they could experience what it's like to be out on the open sea, riding the tremendous waves and dealing with the terrible weather conditions. It bothers me to see how children and spouses of mariners waste their allotment money with little or no appreciation for the mariner's sacrifice in providing for them on multiple occasions.

View Adrift on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”