ARA Review by Ahmed abdelkader 2 of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ahmed abdelkader 2
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Ahmed abdelkader 2 of Final Notice

Post by Ahmed abdelkader 2 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher
I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars

Summary

Technology has advanced once further, and the fitness watches that everyone wanted to have the moment they became available on the market will seem old in comparison to what your parents had when they were growing up. The VT2 monitors a variety of vital indicators and can forecast whether or not a person will die. As the creators of this cutting-edge technology hustle to address all of the product's legal, production, manufacturing, and other developmental difficulties, users face their own challenges.

With a wide range of political viewpoints, this novel explores how people react when they learn they will die in the near future. It made me wonder how I would react, as well as how my husband, parents, in-laws, neighbors, and even that one person who always seems to keep a grudge, would react. Many people would act in ways they wouldn't normally do if they didn't have to face any consequences? What kind of world would that be?

Opinion

I wanted to like this novel, but I couldn't understand some of the author's choices as I read it. The emphasis seemed to be on the company's point of view, whereas I intended it to be on the individuals wearing the VT2. I felt disconnected from the plot at times, and I wondered if the author had ever written for a newspaper. A lot of things were said in a matter-of-fact manner. I kept hunting for the story's detailed emotional sections. I was relieved when they eventually appeared, but I was disappointed when the novel returned to the basic statement of facts after a few pages. I hoped to see more of the human aspect of the story and less of the corporate and behind-the-scenes business side.

In a novel about a technology that can foresee a person's death and covers their reactions to the news, I expected to hear about the device early in the story, but it wasn't until chapter four that I learned about it. I understand the need to provide some background information and set the stage for the story, but I think the background information should be limited to approximately a chapter. Any further background material might be dispersed throughout the narrative.

If the story is situated in a realistic context, I prefer my fiction to be based on what could be true. I couldn't believe this technology wouldn't be exposed before the Alpha test. We live in a time where it appears that everyone has instant communication, and many individuals communicate in various ways on a regular basis. I know a few people who become irritated if they are unable to check their Facebook account every few hours. They share every detail of their life on social media. ‘Got new shoes at Walmart.', ‘At McDonalds for a Big Mac.', or ‘Bad hair day, it's time for a hat.' There are a lot of individuals working on development, marketing, legal, and technological challenges, and they're all over the place. It's quite unlikely that someone, or a group of individuals, would not find out. During a normal chat, they would tell a spouse, parent, or friend. That person would pass on what they had learned. Rumors and gossip are inevitable, and the more interesting the rumor, the faster it spreads.

I enjoyed reading about Vince and Trudy, and I wish the entire tale had been centered on them rather than the firm. The Vitaltech sections of the book bothered me because the information seemed to be repeated. Vijay would have a talk with a coworker, then phone the FBI and have the same conversation, or a reporter would call and have the same conversation in full. I wanted the tale to progress.

I was also troubled by the story's treatment of the elderly. It's not that I don't believe it happens; it's just that I live in a very remote location and only encounter elderly mistreatment in long-term care facilities. I've taught my children to hold the door open for others, particularly the elderly. If there are no chairs available in the waiting room, they should stand and offer the old person a chair. They are taught to respect their elders, just as I was taught when I was a child. I felt disconnected from the tale as a result of this.

I was also waiting for a rise and fall in the action or a slow build-up of suspense before it all blew up in the end. What I got was a gradual warm-up that lasted several chapters and was then kept at a pleasantly comfortable temperature. The large-scale NRA scene should have been large and detailed. More emphasis should be placed on this. For example, the reader is given a step-by-step description of how to get tea, but only one paragraph on a school bombing, a lost baby, many kids dead, and Rasha receiving shrapnel in her back. I would have preferred the attention to be switched around.

In Chapter 11, Dr. Patsy Carter, in response to Vijay's request, states to FBI Agent Zoe, “It's great to meet you, Zoe. Mr. Billy Roy Hunter died on Friday at 4:36 p.m. CST, according to these documents.” The majority of individuals would not respond with CST. They'd say it's CST (Central Standard Time).

There was an extra gap between words on many occasions. It's possible that this is due to the Kindle App format rather than true mistakes.

“I believe terrorists should be referred to as 'cowards.' They prey on the defenseless. They are cowards wherever they come from, and that is what they should be called.” This is a fantastic quote.

What did Chapter 29 leave me wondering? “For those of you who are wondering if he was wearing socks - seriously? - the author pities you but feels compelled to inform you that he was.” I didn't think it was necessary. Instead of being involved with what I was reading, it took me out of the story and made me think about socks.

The epilogue was outstanding. It was a good way to bring the story to a close. This is something I would have liked to see incorporated in the plot and used to generate drama.

View Final Notice on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”