ARA Review by mmsasi of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmsasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by mmsasi of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Post by mmsasi »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a black stream
This is an exciting autobiography of Dr. Frank L Douglas, a pharmaceutical scientist whose predecessors were slaves. His ascension from a humble beginning to a position that a Guyanese country boy could ever dream of is fascinating, if not inspiring. His multilevel transformation is also worth mentioning above all his Gospel believer to the rational thinker.

I came to this book as part of my learning about the different levels of oppression and dehumanization that exist in the different part of the world. And the rare kind of people who have overcome it with strength of character. This history of extraordinary life is so attractive in its events rich in twists but also its way of dramatic narration. The first part, which is told as a flash back, is quite interesting while the young Frank moves to the USA on an airplane. The picturesque description of his past from his early childhood to graduation and scholarship covers the history and the present political scenario of the south American third world country, Guyana, his homeland. A good novelist within the scholar is palpable in that part and for me that part was very touching, especially the scene his bike knocked over to overturn the week's provisions and the punishment he was to receive.

Douglas' life tells how the white world treats blacks, how they are born underprivileged, and how an ordinary black man can fight back with his only remaining weapon, education. I am still unsure if the ambiguity of the title is intentional or accidental. However, both interpretations are meaningful in the sense that it defines the movements and the moments in life are really defining. Dr. Douglas's meetings with the political leader are impressive and reflect his extraordinary commitment and unwavering confidence. It also reveals the reality of the situation on the ground in a country such as Guyana. The most interesting part of this one is that any other common guy in its place could be either lured or ended up in a tragedy. His education from Cornell University to the Cornell School of Medicine is in a circular way and in another way like the different stages of a butterfly's life. It is full of contradictions and synchronization every step of the way.

His professional life is very much exciting and tactful. There are many occasions in his life either side-lined or poorly treated only because of his black lineage, but his presence of mind and thoughtful movements forced others to acknowledge him. His personality is always infallible as it charged with perseverance and self -confidence. The most challenging situations, which a common soul might have tried to give up, offered him opportunities to bounce back. Blockades have become steppingstones. For a reader like me the relevant part of his professional life is quite instructive though a bit lingering due to technical terms and like narratives. Several issues related to humanity and identity of a self-respected being are discussed in this book incidentally and purposefully. However, the scientist-writer always succeeded to keep the emotions live and heart touching. The scene of mother's death, no one can read without tears, the final moments of his brother, shows the simple human being in him, learning German reveals his determination. The decision to leave MIT is the only measure that protects his self-respect. As he started his life as a teacher, finally returns to academia to complete his life circle.

If I see his life in another personality of its variety, it is Dr Baba Sahib Ambedkar of India. Indian caste-system is similar or worse than the color discrimination and so similar is the life of Dr Douglas To that of Dr Ambedkar. But there is a great difference, Dr Ambedkar is leaving everything to fight for his people while Dr Douglas rose to an unattainable height to show the world and his people a path that a common man can choose. I recommend this book to the young people of this world who seek an untraveled road.

My rating this book is, 5 out of 5

View Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”