ARA Review by kia125 of The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kia125
Favorite Book: The Big Sleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

ARA Review by kia125 of The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)

Post by kia125 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959).]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Steven is our protagonist is this complex novel that’s tries to confront the issue of immortality. He starts by leading us into a dark period of European history as he ventures into Nazi Germany and experiences first-hand the horrors of that period.

To be catapulted from his loving family in his US homeland into unspeakable horror, and then be expected to return to a normal life pattern, is a story many a soldier could relate to. I enjoyed this part of the book, and felt his writing was excellent as he introduced me to Erick and her compatriots, as they were caught up in this destructive war.

However, as the story progresses, we then see our main character given the opportunity to prolong his life. This is the part of the story I found difficult to comprehend. Would we really consider following this path, if it was a creation that had taken place in the hell of a concentration camp? The concept of immortality was, I suspect clearly influenced by the Authors interest in Buddhist teaching and the question of reincarnation.

As the story progresses, we then come to understand how our main characters sudden decision to follow this path, is clearly one more to do with self-preservation than questioning the complexities and indeed the dangers of embarking on this road to immortality. He decides on this journey without considering the enormity of his choice.

Then forthcoming events show us it is a path that is clearly fraught with difficulties. How would time without meaning influence his relationship with the world of mere mortals? Would he inherit the brutalities of his ancestors?

The Author attempts to confront this question by inviting the characters to sample the pill that will prolong life, or even accelerate time if taking in quantity. Are they all tempted to follow this path? Do they really want to live forever? Maybe they see changes in Steven that are not attractive. The reader is also asks us to consider the relationship between immortality; versus good and evil.

The prolonged journey of Steven, Jennifer and Albert explore first-hand the circumstances that led to the Cultural revolution in China. The destruction of Tibet and the perceived link between this evil and that of the Holocaust. Could a Buddhist Monastery be the chosen place for our heroes to confront their fears in the ultimate battle between good and evil? A catastrophe that could see an end to mankind.

This was always going to be a difficult write and unfortunately, I feel the Author has not quite achieved his objective. The almost comic manner the characters discuss serious issues neutralizes a well-constructed plot.
As the story enfolds, the lack of depth of the main characters are exposed and the reader is left with a plot that is more in tune with the exploits of Indiana Jones.
But there is no doubt that the Author writes well and I would be intrigued to read some of his later writes.

Rating 3 out of 5

View The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”