ARA Review by kia125 of Adrift

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kia125
Favorite Book: The Big Sleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

ARA Review by kia125 of Adrift

Post by kia125 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Adrift.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

ADRIFT By Charlie Sheldon

Larry is the captain of the, ’Warhorse’ a professional seaman determined to succeed is this dangerous challenge and to rescue, and ultimately berth the abandoned vessel in a nearby port. I would have been intrigued to know what they were carrying, as I’m sure one of our characters on board also indicated.

Louise is Larry’s wife, clearly a woman of substance who loves her husband but is suspicious of his recent meetings with an attractive banker. Are her suspicions justified?

Then there is Ann, she may be a young girl but when the moment comes for her to stand tall, she proves beyond doubt that she is up for the task. What has happened to the two lifeboats that carried the crew of the abandoned vessel, as they are cast adrift in mountainous seas? The winter storms delay any potential air rescue mission.

As we learn more about the characters, we can then see that the occupants of these boats are made of stern stuff, each one of them with their own personal story to tell. That tells me that they have flaws, always a good approach when portraying characters.

Can they really survive the hellish conditions they are confronted with? Will Steve, the Captain of the stricken vessel be blamed for deserting his ship?

There is also a spiritual dimension in the quest to find family members who are lost sea. Can Myra find some solace and indeed answers, as she re-enacts the ways of her ancestors,to find her lost father.

The crew of the rescue vessel endure unspeakable hardships. Maybe they have taking on more than they can handle, both mentally and physically. Then they a forced to compete with the Giant Salvage Company who will stop at nothing to destroy its competitors.

I’m not sure if the multiple first-person approach was a complete success, when it came to understanding the main characters. But as far as the story was played out, it never faltered in its wildness and raw cruelty of the forces of nature.

I enjoyed this book and can see that this writer is able to keep his reader interested until the final page is read.
My only minor criticism would be in the presentation of multiple first person .. chapter headings. It did not always equate with follow up narrative. But that approach was brave but risky. For that reason I awarded 4 star rating.

My Rating is 4 out of 5 for this Book

View Adrift on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”