ARA Review by swoverby of Ironbark Hill

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
swoverby
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by swoverby of Ironbark Hill

Post by swoverby »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Ironbark Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

REVIEW OF IRONBARK HILL BY JENNIE LINNANE

Reviewer - Susan Swanson

Ironbark Hill takes place in Australia in the early 1950's and is about the sixteenth year of Natalie Chapman's life as told by the adult Natalie many years later. Part-Aborigine, Natalie has faced discrimination not only from others, classmates for example, but her alcoholic stepfather, who viciously attacks not only Natalie's beloved mother and mentally challenged brother, but Natalie herself. When early in the book Natty, as she's called, vows to kill this violent bully, the reader is forewarned that the story will not be a romp in the bush with kookaburras and roos. (Though vivid descriptions of flora and fauna abound throughout the novel.)

It is after Natty's stepfather severely beats her following a squabble involving her efforts to save her beloved and valuable cow from slaughter that Natty finds employment as housekeeper to Rosemary and Bruce Glover -- a wealthy, influential couple -- and eventually becomes sexually involved with Bruce Glover. At the same time, Mr. Glover's wife Rosemary, an artist, offers Natty encouragement and advice regarding landscape painting, a field in which Natty shows some skill. Natty feels guilt, but is seemingly defenseless in controlling her passion for Rosemary's husband.

There are various strands to the tale. Beyond the cruelty of the stepfather and Natty's relationship with the Glovers is the thread about Natty's brave involvement in the birth of her beloved heifer, Natty's mother's relationship with the stepfather, how the death of the youngest son affected the family, the stepfather's relationship with his detestable best friend, and, of course, racial bias against Aborigines,

The author offers a story filled with literary prose. At the beginning, it seemed a bit much. But somehow, as the story evolved, I felt more comfortable with it. Ms. Linnane is a writer's writer, I thought, as I experienced sensory evocation. Sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell brought both Australia and the characters to life. There was no question what drove any one of these Aussies. And even the stepfather was somewhat sympathetic.

This is a relatable story. At times, to my mind, the dialogue is overdone, the language too flowery, the characters a bit exaggerated. But in other cases, I appreciated the writer's discipline in refraining from gratuitous details, as in the holding back on particulars about the killing of an animal or sex between Natty and Bruce Glover or even the fiery death of a detestable antagonist. What the novel does extremely well is give the reader a closeup of what it's like to be the unfortunate recipient of bias because of race, and in that respect it offers insight into a problem that has engaged societies from time immemorial. In this sense it's an extension of works by such authors as Harper Lee, Marcus Zusak, and Kathryn Stockett. And a million others!

Finally, I think the book is both realistic and inspiring. The protagonist is strong-willed, intelligent, insightful, and imperfect. An example of the human condition. Because Ironbark Hill could have used some professional editing, however, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

View Ironbark Hill on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”