ARA Review by jossefs of The Warramunga's War

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jossefs
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by jossefs of The Warramunga's War

Post by jossefs »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Warramunga's War.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War

The beginning is wonderful, it really captures the imagination and puts you in the action with very simple but appealing language that allows you to experience the action with the characters.
The author focused on the story and the description of the events, but left out some details that could be very important for the reader to follow the author's imagination. The author does not describe the characters and does not go into what they look like and how they act, he just focuses on the flow of events. Maybe he was trying to keep the story short, and I understand that because I write the same way, but when reading I always like the details.

After they go to Egypt, it kind of gets really exciting. The story itself is very interesting and delightful, but unfortunately the author put too many characters in the story and tried to tell the story through a long boarding conversation between the characters. After chapter 10, the story becomes more like a script for a TV series. The settings and characters changed very quickly. But since the author really managed to take me into his fantasy, I had to keep reading. I was waiting for a romance between Jamie or Jacko and one of the local women, which happened, but the author did not make it exciting either.

The murder mystery was a very brilliant addition to the story, but the spy game was very weak with too many events without any major plot. Still, the story continues to draw you in, making you want to live on with the character Jacko. But since Greg Kater, the author, had to tie his story to real historical events, it became very obvious where he was going with his story and I lost interest. But it was very much worth the time.

The author could have told the story from a narrative perspective to make it more interesting, more interconnected and capture your imagination. And I could really tell he has the experience to do that, but he preferred to tell his story through long, sometimes merging dialog between too many characters, so I sometimes skipped an entire chapter. But the way he brings the characters together, with some very sudden events that surprise you, and especially the women he uses as spies. This made the story very interesting and kept you in suspense.

The story can be divided into two parts, there are too many chapters I do not think it is necessary, but the two parts of the story are very different, it was as if the author was changed and the one who wrote about the events in Egypt stayed in Egypt while a new author joined the team in Australia in their search. I liked the murder case, it was very interesting and if I were the author of this story I would make it the main plot and disregard all the spy games. The second parts had less characters so it was easier to follow the author's plot, but less interesting events and plots.

Anyway, if Greg reads my review, I would suggest he send this story as a TV series script. It would make a very good TV series. And the way he wrote it is more like a screenplay than literature. But I would definitely like to read more of his work.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 5 because it has been a long time since I have been so interested and so drawn to a book. It forced me to finish it because it was a brilliant story, but I was very disappointed in the dialog and the "not funny" sense of humor

View The Warramunga's War on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”