ARA Review by James Roethlein of End of the Last Great Kingdom

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Roethlein
Currently Reading: Painting with Words
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by James Roethlein of End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by James Roethlein »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, End of the Last Great Kingdom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In End of the Last Kingdom by Victor Rose we are first introduced to the kingdom of Sulphurium with its three primary races of humans, elves, and orcs through a brief history of this world told in a manner remiscient of Frank Herbert's Dune that sets the stage for the tale to be told.

In the first three chapters we are met with three of the main characters of the narrative. One is a secondary but intergral character and the third of them is revealed to be the story's protagonist and title character Brimstone. While the other character's role is yet to be played out in this tale. It is through the secondary character's as well as Brimstone's journey we begin to see glimpses of the larger world he inhabits through their interactions with the other races they encounters along the way. This with the allusions to the history of that world as presented in the prologue adds depth to the story.

The story as it unfolds is woven with its elements of magic, adventure, and hints of romance, as well as danger and intrigue draw its influence from (in my mind) several different sources. Such as Harry Potter, Earthsea, and the aforementioned Dune. There is also a direct influence from Greek mythology moreso in the naming of certain characters than anything else.

As I read this book I found it to have a strong opening both with the historical overview and the first three chapters. The character introductions left me intriqued and wanting for more about these characters' stories, which as the book progressed two of the characters are seen to play a pivotal role in the plot of this book while the third has yet to be revealed, This in itself compels me to want to read the other books in the series.The situations in story are both believable and relatable to the reader, that being of young love, companionship, etc. Once the story began to pick up some steam I find it had a Harry Potteresque feel to it until the sudden twist (much like in an M. Night Shyamalan movie) at which point the book took on a more serious tone much like the aforementioned Earthsea up to the conclusion of the book that leaves me wondering what's next.

I have found that some of the minor details of the story somewhat distracting to me, mainly because in my opinion appear to be anachronistic and out of place for the type of world as it is presented in the book. One example of that would be use of the word caferteria which is a more modern term and I find to be out of place for the setting of the story. Now aside from this an simliar observations, I find this book to be fairly well written and the characters to be interesting. It is in my opinion that this is a book worth reading and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the fantasy and I rate it 3/5

View End of the Last Great Kingdom on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”