ARA Review by Destiny C 4 of Free Fish Friday

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Destiny C 4
Currently Reading: One of Us Is Lying
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-destiny-c-4.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

ARA Review by Destiny C 4 of Free Fish Friday

Post by Destiny C 4 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Free Fish Friday.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Free Fish Friday is a laugh-out-loud, captivating mystery novel that will keep your eyes glued to the page and your mind racing trying to figure out how Slacker Mills could be a prime suspect in his best friend’s murder. The story’s beginning reads like a fisherman’s tale—the fishing scenery of Key West and the clients of the Captains. The southern tip of Florida is a popular fishing retreat, especially with the hottest tavern that serves a variety of fresh fish gathered by the world’s top fisherman, Slacker Mills. Key West was a relaxing, cozy small town until the death of Slacker’s dear friend Jerry Potter became a media sensation. The death of Jerry Porter is very surprising and a mystery in itself, and I enjoyed that Jerry’s story is told through his dear friend, Slacker Mills. I thought the author, Lee Stone made a great choice by making the protagonist the story’s voice because Slacker Mills is a unique character, and there is no one perfect for telling Jerry’s story than his best friend. He has a layback kind of personality. He is caring towards others and loves being on the water. Harry (Slacker) Mills has a positive outlook on life despite his childhood journey. Slacker was a nickname he had earned from his parents because of his lack of enthusiasm for school and doing chores. He had never been motivated to do well in anything until his grandfather, Jake the Barber, introduced him to fishing. Slacker was hooked the moment he caught his first smallmouth bass fish.

Jerry Porter is a friendly man with a secret life. He mysteriously came to Key West with a mission that no one realized until his murder investigation. Jerry is a well-educated man with an interest in helping others change their lives. Jerry spreads his kindness and advice to all of the characters, including Rusty Hook Tavern owners Rusty and his wife Honey, Jordan, and Devan. I was shocked to learn that Jerry’s death was investigated as a homicide because of his kindness and how much life he brought to the community.

Jerry and Slacker instantly became best friends when Jerry offered Slacker the opportunity to be the charter of his boat, Ayudame. They spent almost every day out on the water, catching fish for the Rusty Hook Tavern. Slacker’s greatest catches got displayed at the tavern for all of Key West to see. I should have seen that Jerry came to Key West on a soul-searching adventure with the name of his boat, meaning help me. Still, I did not realize what he was going through until later on in the story when the police learn that Jerry has written letters to men who have been unfaithful in their marriages. There are clues placed throughout the novel that hint at Jerry’s true identity, but as a reader, I did not catch on until the end of the story. As a writer and book reviewer, I thought the author did a clever thing by leaving clues that contribute to Jerry’s true self throughout the story. Many readers will believe that Jerry suffered a painful death and that someone in Key West killed him, but Lee Stone has created a different type of murder mystery novel. The reveal of what truly happened to Jerry Porter is shocking and sad, but also a hidden message like if his death was meaningful.

Author Lee Stone has created a unique mystery story surrounding the beautiful scenery of the ocean blue waters in Key West, Florida. His word choice is spot on and fits the atmosphere he wanted to achieve. A beachy small town where telling fishing stories is the best part of the night. The characters are bold and beautifully created. I found some of the dialogue in the novel to be distasteful. Still, I saw how it fits the character’s personality and is realistic to how men speak, especially when describing a beautiful woman. Some content in the story is explicit, but it is minor and does not take away from the enjoyment of the story. Free Fish Friday is not a type of book I would normally read, even though I enjoy reading a good mystery. I did enjoy reading the book despite there being a lot of discussion about fishing. The characters brought the story to life, and the mystery behind Jerry Potter was very creative and the best part of the book.

If you enjoy reading mysteries with witty characters, a beach atmosphere, friendship, and secrets, you will enjoy reading Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone. I am giving Lee Stone’s book a rating of four out of five stars because of his creativity, character development, and the mystery behind Jerry’s death. The book’s conclusion was not what I expected it to be; it was very different from a typical mystery story.

View Free Fish Friday on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”