ARA Review by mjcarlozzi40 of Nightlord: Sunset

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mjcarlozzi40
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by mjcarlozzi40 of Nightlord: Sunset

Post by mjcarlozzi40 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Nightlord: Sunset.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nightlord is one of the best fantasy books I’ve read in years. Written from a first-person perspective, it’s takes the form of a diary written by the protagonist. Nightlord is most similar to a hybrid between Interview with the Vampire and the Dresden Files.

Garon does a wonderful job keeping the reader engaged during this lengthy tale. Books of this length rarely keep the reader engaged throughout; yet Garon weaves his journey expertly during this 5 out of 5 star review.

During the first 1/3 of this adventure, it’s easy for the reader to imagine themselves in Eric’s position. He’s fallible, grossly ignorant of his position, and trekking through his new world like any, ordinary person might if placed in his predicament. Still, I can see where Garon might loose readers here. There are portions of the book where Eric seems grossly incompetent and falls victim to the most obvious of deceptions. I found myself asking if I would have made a better decision. It is here where Garon does an excellent job keeping the setting real, just on the edge of the believable.

The middle of the book focuses on building the backstories of several supporting characters. The volume of Eric’s love interests, sidekicks, underlings, and best friends could fill an entire novel by itself. This lengthy list of supporting characters adds to the lengthy tale, but the story never stalls. During this period, Garon attempts and falls short of expanding beyond the traditional conflict between good and evil. It is here where my only disappointment in the book takes shape. Much of the conflict in Garon’s world is black and white. Only the villain falls victim to power and greed. The protagonist, who has no prior leadership or wealth, makes it appear as if ruling was easy and without conflict.

The final third of the book is a whirlwind, taking the reader on an intense journey that precisely brings the rest of the book into a polished story. Garon lays out an excellent case for Eric’s final journey. The dialogue that transpires prior to the final battle is well written and emotionally engaging.

Nightlord is an excellent tale and worthy of the time spent reading. I commend Garon on his detailed outline of the protagonists powers. Authors of this genre frequently overpower the main character, thereby eradicating the readers ability to relate. Garon gradually increases the protagonists powers in methodical segments. On many occasions, he illustrates exactly how these new powers evolve and intensify. Moreover, there’s never a scene where Eric suddenly discovers some random, overpowered ability, to save him from his predicament.

In the end, Nightlord is a lengthy tale of one man’s journey into a parallel world that sits just on the inside of the believable. This is anything but an ordinary Vampire story and even the most astute fantasy buffs will find themselves guessing what Eric’s next move might involve. It does set up for a sequel and the open-ended conclusion leaves Garon with a wide variety of opportunities. Garon’s writing style and flow are superb. Although the book maintains a steady stream of intense, violent, action scenes, Garon’s insertion of well-timed comic relief is commendable.

With summer just around the corner, Nightlord is a definite recommendation.

View Nightlord: Sunset on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”