ARA Review by James Roethlein of Raven's Peak

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Roethlein
Currently Reading: Painting with Words
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by James Roethlein of Raven's Peak

Post by James Roethlein »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Raven's Peak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole is a supernatural action thriller written in the tradition of Stephen King, whom the author attributes as one of his influences. The novel begins with a prologue that helps set the stage for the rest of the story. With it's strong characterization and excellent use of a magicain like element of misdirection the story draws the reader in and leaves them wanting more.

In the first few chapters (where the story picks up six months later), we are introduced to the protagonist and a character who for all intents and purposes appears to be meant as a setup for the main character and the plot of the book.

The story which starts small, much like a pot of water slowly coming to a boil, progressing to intermittent crescendos in both character backstory and action in way the reader will not expect. Employing masterfully the magician's vital tool of misdirection, the story continues on until the final confrontation at the end of the book.

As I read Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole, I was drawn into the world that he had created. While some writers derive elements from the stories of the authors who influenced them in an obvious manner, Lincoln Cole does not do that. His story is uniquely his own that any derivative elements in his story are so seamlessly woven in it is near impossible to see. There is also an intentional pace to the story that is neither too fast or too slow, it is as Goldilocks so famously put it "this is just right" and the transition from one scene to the next flows with little or no hiccups. The author (Lincoln Cole) masterfully uses the action in each scene as exposition for the overall plot of the book as well as the backstory of the two main characters, especially in regard to the story's protagonist. Also the manner in which some of the secondary characters are incorporated into the story, hinting (in similar fashion to J.K. Rowling) to their role future stories (this being the first of the series).

I find this book to be an enjoyable read. The author has taken the time to craft a story that even though it has otherworldly elements, it is completely believable and relatable. There are also no discernible plot holes or any other such distractions. The author is a consummate professional and the book reflects his level of skill. I would highly recommend this book to any reader not just fans of the genre. So I rate this 5/5.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”