ARA Review by mjcarlozzi40 of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mjcarlozzi40
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by mjcarlozzi40 of Final Notice

Post by mjcarlozzi40 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is one of the most unique stories I have ever read. When I write reviews, I usually like to compare it to other books I’ve read, to give my audience an idea of what they’re in for. With Van Fleisher’s novel, I have nothing to compare it to. The story isn’t without flaws, but the plot is unique.

Following multiple protagonists, Fleisher does an excellent job keeping the story moving forward while sufficiently supplying the reader with ample background. The story is set in modern times and pushes current day politics into the overall plot. If you are looking for a political free book, Final Notice is not for you.

The book reads quickly, as does the audible version. I finished the book in a weekend while vacationing with my family. The science fiction genre is blended with suspense that absolutely takes over during the last 2/3’s of the book. It’s a page turner with ample amounts of humor and emotional drama to keep the readers psyche in a constant state of flux.

Yes, there are three protagonists, Vijay, Zoe, and Vince, each involved in the plot in mostly equal parts. With that said, as a reader, I did not like them all the same.

Who is the antagonists? That is where Fleisher’s writing wisdom really shines. The villain in the book isn’t a simple answer, but a conglomerate of issues and individuals fusing together at the right / wrong time. This is where the science fiction tag comes into play. Technology, in addition to people, are the villain. Fleisher writes this distinctive conflict in the novel intelligently.

Final Notice has a predictability problem in some areas, although the well-written suspense scenes will keep the audience engaged throughout. It’s very easy to see the book turned into a mini-series, although the author’s liberal take on current events will need to be toned down to bring in a larger audience.

Fleisher’s writing style is clear cut and to the point. He occasionally skips over defining the scene in exchange for emotional engagement and gripping suspense. It some cases, Fleisher tells of the action, instead of showing or inviting the audience to create the action in their mind. This comes in clusters, then Fleischer realizes it and reverts back to his creative writing for a several chapters.

Very few authors can manage multiple protagonists and keep the story moving. Fleisher keeps the overlap to minimum while keeping their individual perspectives and thoughts on the conflict internalized. I commend Fleisher on this piece, for very authors, even experienced writers, could have accomplished such a feat.

As I mentioned before, Final Notice is a turn pager unlike anything I’ve read in recent memory. The TV2 watch and it’s effect on the user isn’t that far-fetched, but still resides in the field of science fiction. I found it very easy to place myself, or even my elderly parents, in the shoes of Vince. Fleisher does an excellent job making Vince, one of the three main protagonists, relatable.

Van Fleisher deserves credit for exploring a narrative in the science fiction genre that includes current events in a new, suspenseful plot. I caution readers who are seeking to avoid a politically motivated book. Final Notice is anything but politically unbiased and to Van Fleisher’s credit, he makes no secret about this.

In his About the Author page on Amazon, Van Fleisher makes his views on politics, the NRA, MeToo, and immigration, clear. His personal ideologies are augmented throughout the book and will turn off readers who are not prepared. I suggest reading more about Van Fleisher and his views on sensitive topics before plunging into Final Notice.

Final Notice earns a 4 out of 5. For his first novel, Fleisher creates a science fiction / suspense novel that is perfect for a summer read or weekend vacation. For those wishing to dive into a unique story, be forewarned. Van Fleisher’s views on society aren’t subtle and will turn many readers off during the first few chapters.

It’s clear that Van Fleisher has a creative mind. With a more refined approach to sensitive political topics, Fleisher has the opportunity to encompass a larger audience into his imaginative world.

View Final Notice on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”