ARA Review by Hokageq of McDowell

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hokageq
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Hokageq of McDowell

Post by Hokageq »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, McDowell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Multiple award willing literary fiction author William H. Coles has used his life experiences in the worlds of medicine, music, and writing to create this unforgettable thriller filled with mystery and suspense. Creator of storyinliteraryfiction.com a resources website for the authors, illustrators and readers, William Cole lives and writes in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The stories main character Hiram McDowell is a respected surgeon, set on a glorious path to success. However, like many before him, whilst travelling on his meteoric rise to greatness Hiram has no compunction in leaving in his wake the lesser beings (in his opinion), who for a short while have entered his life, fulfilled their roles as wives, sponsors and allies in his rise to fame. An arrogant and self-centred globetrotting celebrity, used to being the centre of attention, he is calculating, ambitious, and domineering towards his children. Highly regarded and used to basking in praised for his good works, he has grown to consider himself invincible, spending his time indulging in his great loves of mountain climbing, music and captivating beautiful women for sex.

Throughout the story it is clear how controlling he is towards his children, yet how much he supports and protects them. However, when as a result of a terrible event his grandson Jeremy is left on life support he takes control to a new level when decides to take things in his own hands, and as a result is accused of an horrendous crime, and given a prison sentence.

Life changing events do just that, and at this point in the story, the character we know as Hiram changes beyond recognition, as he escapes from prison and becomes a fugitive on the run. Crossing America, living inconspicuously in quiet locations, he evolves into someone totally different, kind and caring, with empathy for those whose lives cross his, everything is documented in his biography, but will it ever be published?

Can we escape our past decisions in life, or are they destined forever to define us? This is the question I found myself asking at the end of this absorbing book. Hiram’s character captured my rapt attention from the very first page because of a myriad of reasons, fascination being just one of them. With a totally unexpected end, this story is packed full of mystery and suspense and is one of the best I have ever read.
McDowell by William H Coles brings us the tale of a man who, having reached the top of his profession, self-destructs and loses it all, then attempts to rebuild his life from scratch. McDowell is a world-renowned surgeon, lauded by all as one of the best in the business and he knows it. This overachiever climbs mountains in his spare time and has summitted Everest along with most of the highest peaks in Nepal. He is known by all as cold, ruthless and someone who will do anything to anyone to get what he wants and to get his own way. His children, from several marriages, are estranged in many ways but he still has taken responsibility for their wellbeing and their financial security despite not quite being able to confess and show his true feelings to them. When McDowell’s lying and cheating comes back to haunt him, first in small ways but eventually in a way that will destroy his carefully choreographed career and life, McDowell suddenly finds himself all alone and a hunted man. How will this humbling experience affect this man who has always been in control and had his finger on the pulse?

I found McDowell an interesting character and one that evoked strong emotions in the reader. Kudos to author William H Coles, who was able to extract the gamut of emotional responses from the reader. Initially, we feel nothing but scorn and disbelief at the coldness and callousness of the character but as time goes on the empathy and even sympathy for his predicament, despite it being of his own making, begins to take control. McDowell, when faced with total loss and devastation must look inside for the answers and the author takes him on not just a physical journey but a spiritual one also. I won’t spoil the plot by revealing the major ethical dilemma McDowell was involved in but it ran as a common thread through much of the narrative and required the reader to make his or her own personal decision about the morality or otherwise of the act. Although I did feel at times the narrative meandered a little and the constant flip-flopping of points of view was wearying sometimes, this is a very straightforward, readable story with a strong message and an unexpected ending i happily give it 5 out of 5

View McDowell on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”