ARA Review by Mikomontgomery309 of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mikomontgomery309
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Mikomontgomery309 of In It Together

Post by Mikomontgomery309 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I have a degree in Philosophy, and I’ve read numerous books on spirituality and self- help throughout my life. As a result, I’m somewhat jaded regarding such matters. I feel as if I’ve heard it all before. Still, I was curious about this book, so I sat down and read it with an open mind. This book is amazing.

It’s been said that humans are spiritual beings having a physical experience. I’ve always agreed with that sentiment. Perhaps that’s why this book resonates with me. According to Mr. Hughes, we have human bodies, but we’re not human. We don’t have a spirit. We are spirit. What we have is a body.

Mr. Hughes insists that we humans reflexively fight against things like distress and pain, but we also fight for something. And that something is spiritual fulfillment. There is a spiritual void within us that we seek to fill with fame, fortune, sex, drugs, rock and roll, etc. They are all poor substitutes which only serve to imprison us. Mr. Hughes brilliantly labels this prison a Hedonic Treadmill.

Like the title says, we’re in this beautiful struggle together. The struggle for spiritual fulfillment unites humanity because we all share this same struggle. Humanity is connected by way of our shared struggle for spiritual fulfillment.

The book is an exploration of the human quest for spiritual enlightenment… individually, but more importantly, collectively. Harmony and unity with others is the hallmark of a spiritual society. One thing I loved about the book was that it presented practical techniques and solutions. The information isn’t rehashed New Age babble or over intellectualized abstract word salad. This is meant to be a guidebook to be used in the trenches of everyday living.

5 out of 5

I’m glad I took the time to read this book. I look forward to reading it again, and hopefully soon. A guidebook is meant to be revisited often.

Highly recommended.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”