ARA Review by dublinwriter of Adrift

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dublinwriter
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

ARA Review by dublinwriter of Adrift

Post by dublinwriter »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Adrift.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A gripping sea story.

I’ve always liked stories about the sea: Das Boot, The Cruel Sea, HMS Ulysses, Treasure Island, The Hunt for Red October, Typhoon, A Perfect Storm, Mutiny on the Bounty, Moby Dick, even Jaws, to name but a few.

With ‘Adrift’ we see what’s it’s like to be trapped in a capsized lifeboat. Terrifying. There’s much tossing and turning as a single solitary bird looks on with dispassionate eyes. I liked the way hot cross buns were served right after the sea survival drill.

Having visited Vancouver one time, a trip which took in the wilds of the Canadian Rockies including Jasper and Banff it’s encouraging to see a nod towards the Indian heritage - the old Warhorse and Dark Cloud.
(Note to author page 46 typo out instead of put.) Adrift reminds me of my own time spent in the waters off Vancouver Island whale watching and wearing the exact same orange survival overalls as described in the book.

A funny moment occurs when Dark Cloud announces he has Cree blood Type 0. The book moves from one crisis to the next with seamless ease and includes a very black moment at the end, but it is just that - a moment.

The characterisation throughout Adrift is excellent and helps to give the book pace and momentum. I’ve no hesitation in awarding this one five out of five.

5 out of 5.

View Adrift on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”