ARA Review by Lebenstein48 of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lebenstein48
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Decision Points
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Lebenstein48 of In It Together

Post by Lebenstein48 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In It Together contains a lot of insightful observations that are rare to find in many books. For example, the philosophy put forth in this book transcends the outward aspect of who we are and focuses on our psyche, referred to in the book as our spirit. It touches on some healthy maxims reminiscent of the serenity prayer, accepting what we cannot change, and working to change the things we can change, and having the wisdom to know the difference.

The book has a number of positive suggestions, such as to drop past offenses, not to hate people, but to forgive, etc. I especially liked the observation that attaining goals we pursue will not necessarily bring happiness. We all know of some very wealthy people who are very unhappy, people who got that degree they pursued and afterward were still not at inner peace. The author's observations mirror old King Solomon when he points out that man has a spiritual hole inside, and the futility of chasing greener grass, that it will never be green enough. This is rare insight!

However, I was uncomfortable with the condescending tone of the book. At the beginning, the author assumes an almost godlike position as if to pontificate. Opinions are put forth as fact.
Although I agree with a lot of the points made in this book, there are several that I do not agree with. I do not accept that there is no evil. One need only pick up a newspaper to see that there is evil in the world. In It Together seems to say that there is no moral absolutism; I think that moral aspiration has its place in specific applications.

Many of the problems we face today are the consequence of having veered too far away from moral absolutism. Many of the positive virtues, aspirations and self-assessments in this book are not attainable with our fallen human life, but require a higher life, God Himself to become one spirit with our human spirit ("But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit" - 1 Corinthians 6:17 together with 2 Corinthians 3:17, "And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.") Just as Israel could not escape from bondage in Egypt without divine intervention, one cannot escape from the “prison” described in this book without the resurrected Christ coming to indwell us as the life-giving Spirit.

I believe Mr. Hughes is genuine in his statement at the end of the book that he loves his readers. This is rather rare to find in any book. The insights in this book are sometimes brilliant. But this inspirational philosophy will not bring the reader to a lasting inner peace; the key is missing. Rating: 3 out of 5.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”