ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Unstoppable

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Garrett
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Coaching Conversations That Count
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Unstoppable

Post by Emily Garrett »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Unstoppable.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book was written with young athletes in mind as the audience. It is written in third person. It first acknowledges that balancing a sport with family, friends, school, and other obligations is not easy and that not everyone in the person’s life is going to understand that.

Then it goes on to provide tips for the young athlete on how to release stress, maintain life balance, and organize themselves to accommodate their school and training schedule, along with other duties in their lives. The book is written with the mindset of the athlete in mind, acknowledging that when you are training and competing in a sport, you may see the world in a certain light.

I thought this book was really a really good summary of some of the issues that a young athlete faces and offers some ways to handle them. One of the aspects of the book that I really like, and feel is important for young people, and especially athletes who are under a lot of pressure, is that it acknowledges the importance of maintaining their mental health, and that it is okay to ask for help when you need it. The author spent a good amount of time on this. They provided examples of great athletes who have experienced difficulties and spoken up about it, and demonstrated that it’s not a weakness if you need to step back to work on this. The author encourages them to talk to someone trusted in their lives about it, when they are struggling at any level with mental health issues.

The book offers some great advice on life balancing exercises all in one place. The author encourages them to talk to their teacher or coach first, if there are commitment overlaps or struggles, and then to pull in an adult advocate if needed. I think it’s important to encourage them to try to handle things on their own, but to also know when the person is not listening and ask the advocate for assistance.

I am going to get a copy of this book for my teenage granddaughter, because I think that she could benefit from some of the exercises included in this book, but also she could benefit from understanding that it isn’t easy for famous athletes either to handle the pressure in a life of sports. These young athletes need to know they are not alone, and what they see on TV sports isn’t magic. Great read!

I gave this a rating of 5 out of 5, because it was well written with no editorial flaws that I noticed. It was easy to read and understand and I thought it covered the subject matter nicely.

View Unstoppable on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”