ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Free Fish Friday

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Garrett
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Coaching Conversations That Count
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Free Fish Friday

Post by Emily Garrett »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Free Fish Friday.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A cozy mystery set in Key West, Florida, Free Fish Friday is a page turner. The protagonist, named Slacker, tells a first person story of his love of fishing and his life in a small town in Key West. Known as the best fisherman in the region, he drifts into town and finds a home and a community of people he considers family. Early in the story, his close friend, Jerry, is found dead in the water. He can’t believe he became the prime suspect, and it seems no matter what he says or does, the law is focused on finding him guilty. His community family turns on him and then it’s a race to find a way to prove his innocence.

As the clues start pouring in, we learn the backstory about all the kooky characters that live in this small town and frequent the Rusty Hook tavern. We get to know all about Slacker and Jerry’s friendship, as well as all of their other interactions with the community.

I don’t know much at all about fishing, but I thoroughly enjoyed this story of charter captains and fishing stories. It seemed authentic, and the dialogue felt realistic. I loved all the characters and the descriptions of the environment and the people. They were all very believable.

I sat down to read this book in the car on my phone, while waiting for someone, and I couldn’t put it down. I read it every chance I had until I finished it the next day. It was truly engaging and the characters were memorable. The background of the lovable Jerry was as much a mystery as what happened to him. The reveal all came in good time.

When I finished reading the book, it left me feeling inspired and wanting more. I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars based on the way it engaged me through every page. It flowed nicely, and gave the right amount of information at the right time, leading to the conclusion. It wrapped up the mystery, however, it left doors open for more adventures for Slacker.

View Free Fish Friday on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”