ARA Review by Yunxin Wu of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yunxin Wu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Yunxin Wu of In It Together

Post by Yunxin Wu »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book In It Together - The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All written by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes, is a non-religious-centered spiritual book that provides thought-provoking aspects for readers to process inner emotions, rationales, and to help readers foster a sense of self-reflection and self-discovery. If you want to think for your inner self, the book is highly recommended.

Initially, when I read the book title, I thought it was about how humanity jointly fights against natural disasters or wars, strengthens emotional bonds, or overcoming the consequences of COVID. The book, instead, indirectly resolves some of these questions in my mind through deep connections and thought flows in discovering humans' inner souls.

The book is thoughtful in analyzing reasons behind some human’s innate characteristics and encourages certain traits by providing reasons, and discourages certain traits by providing examples. What’s very positive about this book is that it illustrates thought processes that promote self-reflection and self-discovery. It is helpful in its positive and correct worldview. It is also blunt in discerning reasons and motivations, and openly criticizing aspects that are common and somewhat desirable in society. Desirable results from materialism, handling greed and desire, and emphasis on fame could be tempting, but these traits are to be discouraged for moral reasons and for oneselves in consciousness and soul. These reflection points make the readers think on their own to agree or disagree with these ideas and reach their own conclusions. As a result, the book serves the purpose of letting the readers think and reflect by themselves. For example, it touches upon why human beings are and have a good reason to need a self-first approach without blind altruism. Some might think societies run this way are natural to human needs and for efficiency, and can rightfully think so. Others might believe welfare for all is critical in saving lives while getting to understand why resources are not getting to those in need for a variety of reasons. The book can help us in thinking for ourselves, understand, and potentially take actions to solve these problems including hunger and resource shortages for others, who are our collective selves co-habiting in this world. And by focusing on ourselves, we can better help our collective selves, and in turn, help the world as a whole.

Another aspect of this book is related to self-consciousness in relation to time. The author discusses how temptation leads to more greed long-term and how feeding unbalanced short-term relief or meeting the needs could still lead to going awry long term because of unsatiable desires and lack of inner peace. This is a book about stopping the inertia that is trapping you in a tight corner in the vast and borderless sky.
What the book can be improved on includes increasing a more uplifting tone and acknowledging the opposite side of the story. For example, greed and ego are negative aspects of emotions and mindsets that were heavily criticized in this book in that evil and negative consequences come along with these emotions. These ideas sound similar to Buddhist ideologies but were presented much less peacefully in a way that could be stinging to readers who do experience such problems. However, these aspects from a different vantage point are closely associated with positive emotions such as striving for more, self-esteem, and confidence, especially in the context of pursuing the American Dream in resource-scarce societies.

I feel a bit deceived by the book’s opening before the introduction. I felt that the quote by Ram Dass and the opening letter were something that could have been written by me, written for me, and whispered to me. However, the rest of the book was more like a moral boundary that was written by or for someone who felt too hurt to venture into the excitement and beauty of the world.

It's a 4 out of 5. The book is suitable for a wide audience: someone who has lost a loved one, someone who is on a hard-to-stick-to diet, someone who has lost significant wealth, or someone who has won a lottery. It can also be suitable for those who are hurt, who feel unaccomplished, who need guidance, and who want to be in control.

What I want to add to this book is that: It is unnecessary to embrace discomfort if there is a way to be content while being at the place you want your heart to be. It is unnecessary to refrain from striving if you believe you can accomplish the goals in the best direction. It is unnecessary to let go of a dream if there is a path to achieve it in a way that you would never regret. Don’t let go and after reading it, you will understand. Go for it!

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”