ARA Review by Emma Lee Joy of Misreading Judas

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emma Lee Joy
Favorite Book: Daughter of the forest
Currently Reading: Mirrors in the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 12

ARA Review by Emma Lee Joy of Misreading Judas

Post by Emma Lee Joy »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Misreading Judas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Misreading Judas: How Bible Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time by Robert Wahler is a religiously based book about the Gospel of Judas, a non-canonical book recently discovered in a Dead Sea Scroll. According to Wahler, bible scholars with closed minds and incomplete understanding cannot see the "truth" that Jesus didn't die for us and that Judas was the "gnostic sacrifice." Wahler claims that "Masters" come to the earth all the time and that there isn't one greater than another.

A basic understanding of the Gospel of Judas is needed before going into this book, as Wahler does not explain much. The book is heavily structured with quotes from the Judas scroll interspersed with Wahler trying to prove that his view is correct and it is easy to get lost. I had to backtrack more than once, and there isn't much to convince you of this "truth" besides the author's words.

I did not walk away from this book convinced of anything. Too much is left out from the scroll because of damage over the years to prove anything to me. And those parts are lost until another scroll is found, if ever. We cannot assume what it says to prove a point. I would only recommend this book to someone with some knowledge of the subject beforehand and an open mind. Some of the ideas could be considered blasphemous by many Christians.

I gave this book a 2 out of 5 rating. It wasn't trash, but it wasn't enjoyable either. The concept of the Gospel of Judas makes for a beautiful story, with twists and turns that could be very interesting if done correctly. But as a religious belief, I was not converted by Wahler’s argument. My mind sometimes wondered while trying to read, and I considered not finishing it.

Wahler came off as "ranty” at times while trying to prove his point and was accusatory in more than a few instances. However, I can appreciate Wahler’s passionate purpose to "instigate further investigation" into the many questions that the Gospel of Judas raises.

View Misreading Judas on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”