ARA Review by Clare Blando of Shot Down

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clare Blando
Favorite Book: David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400698987

ARA Review by Clare Blando of Shot Down

Post by Clare Blando »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Shot Down.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

For one who appreciates and enjoys true stories from American history, Shot Down blew me away. (No pun intended). This is the remarkable true story of the ten-man crew of the B-17 Susan Ruth which flew during World War II and was shot down over Belgium, beginning the months of hardship and sacrifice these very young men endured along with many of the Belgian resistance.

Initially, author Steve Snyder’s inclusion of every man’s detailed information such as full name, birth date, serial number, and home address seemed unnecessary. Nevertheless, it proved the thorough and compelling research done before churning out this excellent book which I rated five out of five stars.

Throughout, the book is exceptionally well-written with elaborate detail and was difficult to put down. From the men’s extensive training in Texas to the extreme conditions inside the B-17, it was easy to develop a new appreciation for soldiers and airmen. As the training and flight experience accumulated, I sensed the build-up of tension and pressure that these young men experienced during and after the war.

Most informative, and humorous, throughout the story, were many small details that civilians wouldn’t have known. For instance, the men would not be served “flatulent foods” at breakfast prior to a flight. Before that particular detail, it never crossed my mind to consider the effect on fellow crewmembers after flatulent foods were consumed by men confined to the cockpit of a B-17. Additionally, maybe it was the device on which I read the book, but when the familiar phrase, “A Day Which Will Live in Infamy” was juxtaposed with Howard Snyder’s’ honeymoon photo, I had a laugh-out-loud moment.

As the story continued to build, the gravity of losing many thousands of previous generations of fathers, brothers, sons, and friends became evident but without the expected graphic detail that is too often portrayed in modern books and movies. Readers don’t need to be face slapped with the horrors of war to understand the destruction and loss of life. I consider Shot Down to be one of the best chronicles of World War II and it reminds us of why we can never forget the Americans who served.

View Shot Down on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”