ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of The Lost Identity Casualties

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Lost Identity Casualties.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties: The Callaghan Tetralogy, volume I by Kim Ekemar is a brilliant novel by an excellent author. It is a first person novel written about Matthias Callaghan, a man that wakes up without memory from a coma, covered in bandages, in a hospital room. He has no idea why he is there or who he is and struggles to remember how he ended up hospitalized. His thoughts throughout this process are very realistic and confused until he begins to rearrange his memory. Once he remembers what happened, he enacts a careful plan of revenge on everyone who wronged him until his life feels like his own again.

I enjoyed this book much more than I imagined I would. The cover of the book makes the book seem as it though it would be more medical or technical without having much flair or personality.

I enjoyed many aspects of this book, most significantly the way in which it was written when going from present to past tenses and the text being italicized. Originally I didn't like that the book was written mostly in italics but that fades as Matthias recovers his memory. It feels as though everything is foggy because it is to Matthias, or that's the way that I precieved the italicized text, however probably unintentional by the author.

Another thing I really enjoyed was that every single character has a reason for existing and is often intricately woven into the story. Every life is explained. There are no coincidences or accidents. I specifically admired how Julie's rapist was the man that died to obtain a face.

I disliked that Matthias took revenge on Julie despite knowing her reasoning of pulling away from him. It was obvious that she loved him and had good reason not to be able to look at him after the transplant, as well as not revealing her past. He should have been more sympathic to her, even if he was no longer in love with her or simply blinded by this plans of revenge. But there may be reason going into more of the series, or maybe Matthias is incapable of love.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars as is it is a very well written book and easy to get captivated within. I enjoyed the character's story, even the side character's lives. It was a pleasure getting to know them and read The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”