ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship by lisa jacovsky is a book about a little girl meeting and wanting to make friends with a young girl named Emma who has autism. Although she doesn't understand Emma right away she is friendly and continues to treat her normally even though she doesn't respond to things she says or asks her. They wind up being very good friends.

I liked that the story is about acceptance even before you understand why something or someone is different. Questions about Emma are asked at home where they are less intrusive instead if in front of Emma. It's a very optimistic kind story.

This book is important because there needs to be more books explaining why some children may be different. Authism is becoming something everyone faces at some point and I believe it's necessary to educate children about it early on to avoid possible bullying and misunderstandings.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars because although I liked many things about this book, I felt this book could have been written a bit differently to make it a childhood staple for reading and education. More books like this need to exist, however I felt it could have been done better.

The illustrations are very plain looking, perhaps just not my taste of art. Could the characters be animals? Could they be drawings instead of graphic seeming artforms? If there are drawings that the author drew when she was 7, when she wanted to write the story, they would be perfect to illustrate this book.

The story could have been a bit more captivating. Although I admire the message, it's not written in a way children might want to heard on repeat. It is a message worth repeating. Perhaps the little girl wasn't sure of Emma right away. Most children find autistic children odd or find them more interesting than other children for one reason or another. What is that reason she wants to be her friend so much? It's almost too accepting that things are simply different when speaking and interacting with Emma. If children acted that positively more often, I'm sure I would find it an excellent story, but being mom to an autistic girl, I would like this story to be more realistic with just as much education, insight, and acceptance.

Thank you for creating this book into existence. More are needed.

View Lets Talk! a story of autism and friendship on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”