ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of isithunzi

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of isithunzi

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, isithunzi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

isithunzi: #aBrknPoet Dark Musings by Stuart Brkn Johns is a compilation of poems from a depressed perspective that wants to feel something deeper than sadness, anger, or numbness.

There was something that I liked out of each poem, although there were few poems I enjoyed as a whole. There are good ideas for poems and writings to be developed, but they weren't complete, more like dark, whimsical ideas that didn't go through harsh editing or flow of thought.

My favorite poems were Voter, The New God, Long Way Down, Want, Macabre, and Mannequin. Mannequin is by far the most intelligent poem in the book, using the brain's anatomy as the center of the poem.

The poet seemed more focused on trying to make words rhyme which would seem to make the poem flow, but often the rhyme was unnecessary, making it seem more juvenile than adapted which is needed for cynical writing to feel as though it has purpose for its viewpoint.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars because I feel like if given more time and deliberation for each poem, it could be a work of art. At this juncture I can only say the book contained some eloquent wordings that was followed by some disappointment on the next line of the beauty of the brilliant line falling short to a sentence that was unoriginal, written only to rhyme, or just missed the mark for me. There are beautiful things inside of this book that just need to be developed more.

View isithunzi on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”