ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of The Message?

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of The Message?

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Message?.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Message?: A thinking thriller about change and choice. by Avam Hale is a novel about a woman named Leah, who wakes up two weeks after a brutal car wreck. Leah wakes with all injuries reminded that still remained the day before. She claims that she was with God, and given the message of love.

I enjoyed the image of God is formless and sexless, just an all encompassing bright light filled with the presence of all encompassing love. Although there is much talk about God and this book is nothing if not theological, it does not try to convert anyone to any singular religion, although it tries to create the belief in a higher power and philosophical reasons to support why there is a higher form of life.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars for the reason of the story not appealing to me, although I liked several aspects about this book, as philosophy is a major one of my interests. Theology however isn't my cup of tea. I take off no points for my own preferences, just for the story line that wasn't as well put together as I would like. The highlights of this book are the conversations had, not the story line, although it does have a story that is easy to follow.

Leah is a shy mother of two that lost her husband to cancer a year previous to her wreck. Having lost a person that would have been my husband, I found it a bit unbelievable that she would not have more questions about her husband in God's presence even if all she could feel was love from God. She had no questions. Although she was shy, would she not have at least the question of her greatest love? Would she not have some initial anger towards God for taking him away from her too soon? Instead she has nothing but acceptance even when she believes she may have just been dreaming. If she is so doubtful of this overpowering message, would she not be doubtful of the light surround her while she was in her coma? There is not internal conflict within her there, only the conflict of whether or not she should spread the message she was given.

I also found it very realistic that Leah's message of love would create violence. It has in real life with MLK and his message of love and acceptance. A world full of thoughtfulness and acceptance does not have war, one of the most expensive things in the world. It is a world without violence and hopelessness, so that takes away from the economy even though being more loving towards a larger audience, would also spend money as so many people are in need of vital things. Instead of spending it on hate, money could be spent with more love. Not everyone would be after her or trying to gun her down, although some would and she would have those that doubt her. Would it not be neat to see her message in the making? Homeless rates dropping, starving people receiving food, more community actions that result in a better society? The result of her message isn't truly seen. Just trying to be spread and wondering if it should and the process of that conflict, and people trying to get to Leah. It should be less about Leah and more about the world as the message suggests.

View The Message? on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”