ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Sheltered from Love

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Sheltered from Love

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Sheltered from Love.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sheltered from Love by Jacquolyn McMurray is a light hearted romance novel about Georgia, an animal shelter volunteer, who lost her husband six years ago and has been lonely ever since. She meets Romel, a volunteer painter at the shelter, who shows interest in her and eventually wins over her heart to make her want to date again. Not only that, he also gives her the inspiration to live the life she truly wants with adopting animals in her empty home.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars as it was easy to get sucked into this book and read it within a couple of hours. It was well written, heartfelt, and had just enough conflict with a will-they'wont-they sort of energy. Overall I enjoyed the story immensely.

There were parts however that broke my full attention of the story. Firstly, Georgia's inability to help in medical instances even under her circumstances with William, seemed unlikely. She was a nurse who lost patients presumably as it happens in the medical field. Although she may have felt less competent after William, she would not be emotionally frozen in other medical scenarios or so easily emotional. Had she been a nurse aide or have a smaller previous role in the medical field, perhaps her fear and sensitivity would be more believable. Her thinking of William so often, especially at the beginning, however made her character believable so I could remain captured by the story.

The memory of William's character was unlikable. He seemed controlling. Romel did a good clean up job by saying some people just don't like animals or they're not for them, but everything Georgia seemed to remember was negative about him. Her head husband should have some great qualities to show why Georgia hadn't dated as she was waiting for someone amazing to cause her to want to, or if he was worse and she had distrusted men and being controlled, but it was written more as a woman missing her deceased husband with negative qualities.

Georgia was a little too overly emotional initially, however she was lonely and in my head I gave her the condition of depression which helped me stay involved in the story. Otherwise she would have been too emotional for me. Princess was really too much of a princess. Had she been younger, this would be fine.

It didn't make sense to me for the couple to feel they couldn't be together without their children's permission, although this was Georgia's decision, no parent is going to put their relationship on pause to see if their grown kids accept their new partner. This only applies when children live at home and interactions will be a frequent occurance.

Otherwise, excellent story. I really enjoyed it, some parts just disconnected me from the story at times.

View Sheltered from Love on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”