ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Nightlord: Sunset

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Nightlord: Sunset

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Nightlord: Sunset.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited is a book about a female vampire that finds her lost love in a mortal man and brings him home and turns him into a vampire after a long night drinking at a party. She teaches him what he is and how to fight and kill. Many people wish them hard and to even consume the world. Eric makes it his mission to stop them all with his talking sword.

I wasn't able to get into the story at all. I didn't find anything to suck me in or captive my mind to become encompassed by the book. It seemed to be a basic vampire story with some added abilities but overall I didn't find it to be original despite there being other fantasy creatures incorporated into the novel as well. It felt lacking of a deeper plot, purpose, and void of passion.

What got me through the book is imagining that a dad was writing this book for his teenage daughter that loves vampire novels. There were quite a few dad like jokes that supplemented that viewpoint, with the holy mace of head beating, the martini joke... feeling shaken but not stirred or allergic to dying, I break out in screaming. Many of the metaphors were laughable or didn't make sense, like the ecstacy submersion comparison.. it didn't enhance what was trying to be described and wasn't accurate as taking ecstacy feels like pleasurable electricity massaging your body pleasurable until you're begging for orgasm. Not knowing about ecstacy, the description fell short when it could've been a decent addition to the description.

Tendrils is a new word I learned that makes me cringe, much like many people with the word moist. Despite not liking the word, what they were in the story made just as little sense to me as vampires with power should be able to do what these do with their attached strings inside their bodies that come out without having any tendrils, just mind control or blood consumption.

Lastly, I didn't like the way Sasha changed the way she spoke after Eric recovered some memories. She began speaking in old English and being much more subservient to him when she was originally a modern, confident, badass. Who should know what the internet is as well as online shopping because she exists in the modern world and originally speaks as though she is part of the modern world until speaking in thous, thee, and calling Eric My Lord.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars because I couldn't find anything about it to like, even when it made me laugh. It didn't fit the story to have so many dad jokes. The author should not be writing fantasy novels in my opinion. He would be better suited in a modern reality where his humor could shine through and be appreciated. Garon Whited is a good author, just not for the fantasy genre in my opinion.

View Nightlord: Sunset on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”