ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Murder by Definition

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andromeda Flynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Andromeda Flynn of Murder by Definition

Post by Andromeda Flynn »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Murder by Definition.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong is a novel about a nursing home where patients keep dying after being stung by a needle in their sleep. It is a mystery novel trying to find the killer before another patient dies from another misdiagnosed heart attack.

Although Murder by Definition by Lynn G. Armstrong wants to shed light on abuse that occurs in nursing homes and the kind of possible neglect and travesty that could occur. I believe that the author gets distracted telling the story instead of exploring the deeper social issue originally wanted to be exposed. The only problems are some of nurses and aides of the nursing home and how that isn't regulated as it should be to ensure a safe environment. Often these places are dirty and reek of bodily excrement.

There are many characters and conversations in this book but their individual voices were lacking. Everyone spoke the same, had similar reactions, creating a monotonous reading experience. I had a difficult time staying engaged in the story because of this, as personality was lacking even with different individual interests.

There are some grammar issues scattered throughout the book. Many conversations had incomplete quotations. The phrase dear God or some derivative of it was used a bit too often both by characters and in narration of the story

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars due to my lacking connection to the book for the above listed reasons. The premise of the book is interesting and well intended, as well as developments in the book. I just feel it could've been written better. There were many vital details in the novel that contradicted themselves and collapsed the story for me. Kathy wants to do everything to protect but has vindictive thoughts that only cause harm. If her intent is helping by doing anything then she would not be so spiteful to only do harm even if only to punish someone on the verge of finding her out. Megan wouldn't feel as though she is falling in love while combating commitment issues, the opposite is felt. It was weird Dan asked Megan about herself after being intimate and only seeming to fall in love with her afterwards as well after all of their conversations together. It didn't make sense.

View Murder by Definition on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”