ARA Review by Quadskater of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quadskater
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Quadskater of In It Together

Post by Quadskater »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

4 out of 5

This book contains thought provoking spiritual advice written in a positive tone. The author is obviously passionate about helping people experience inner peace.

With regard to humanity, the author encourages readers to focus on common feelings and experiences rather than differences. This book includes a great deal of repetition, but such is sometimes helpful, even needed, when it comes to motivating people to modify attitudes or behaviors. The author suggested that readers reframe experiences typically thought of as bad: debilitating accidents or diseases, loss of a loved one, etc. in new ways to encourage inner peace.

I felt inspired by the many examples of commonly known, timeless wisdom expressed in new ways, like remembering to savor the present and finding the grass greener on the side of the fence where you find yourself.

I appreciated the section that taught readers not to fight against themselves in the spiritual/emotional sense. I saw my own condition in some of the "self-abusive" practices the author describes, one in particular that I never would've thought of on my own, that of giving up one’s present peace/happiness for the sake of one’s future self. I’m not sure yet how I feel about the idea and imagine I will be working it out for quite some time.

I found the assertion that “there is no problem of evil” difficult to agree with.
Child trafficking, violence against the weak, exploitation, etc. These are evil, and they are a problem. Also, anyone who has aged to the point of decline or lost a loved one, especially if they were young, knows the inherent evil associated with death.

This book could've been shorter (my reason for 4 stars rather than 5). I felt there was too much repetition, albeit with increasing emphasis. In addition, sections devoted to defining and giving examples of terms such as "temporal love" were mildly interesting but didn't seem necessary.

Although there were some ideas that I do not agree with, I feel that I am better for having read this book. Some parts I continue to ponder, and I may wish to add comments at a later date.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”