ARA Review by Kirro14 of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirro14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Kirro14 of In It Together

Post by Kirro14 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In It Together deals with the age-old question: is mankind good or evil at our core? The author answers this question by saying we are inherently good but lack the spiritual maturity to attain that potential for good within us. The majority of the book is filled with ancient advice and New Age practices to help reach the spiritual maturity the author says most lack, offering a enlightening view into the potential of humanity.

While I am a practicing Wiccan and am familiar with alot of the advice offered in the book, I found it to be offered in quite a clumsy and detracting manner. The author is obviously a talented writer but in claiming evil is just a lack of spiritual maturity flies in the face of many of the practices he pulls his evidence from, most of which claim humans are simply capable of both and it depends on which we indulge. They also indulge into a lot of "questionable" New Age practices which again, directly contrast with the other practices and beliefs they reference earlier in the book.

“Spiritually, you and I are one . . . one with all other conscious beings.” This phrase is the one that throws me the most. It contrasts with the statement at the beginning that invokes Buddhist beliefs. Buddhists believe we are all responsible to ourselves to help others but we are not responsible for their choices, which flies in the face of the New Age belief. It feels like cherry picking to serve a point, without fully understanding the beliefs they are referencing.

I give it a 3 out of 5.The book is well written and might provide comfort for those seeking a simple guide to look at the world in a more positive light, but this book better serves to as a springboard to begin your own journey, rather than just accepting what you are told.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”