ARA Review by Matthew Hogan of Misreading Judas

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Matthew Hogan
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 21

ARA Review by Matthew Hogan of Misreading Judas

Post by Matthew Hogan »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Misreading Judas.]
Book Cover
1 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I know nothing of Gnosticism or the "Mystics," so it would be highly inappropriate for me to comment on the quality or veracity of the author's claims. However, the claim that nobody has done the "Gospel of Judas" justice automatically struck me wrong.

The author does nothing to show how he has the expertise to make that claim or to do any better. Further, he repeatedly states what words or phrases mean with no reason why. We are to merely take his word for it.

Lastly, he claims that the fact that the Gospel of Judas was written later than the Gospels of the Bible doesn't matter. The further a document is written after the events it speaks of, the less reliable it is by any scholarly assessment.

For all these reasons, I can't even say I learned anything as I would have enjoyed of another faith system as I have no reason to believe the author has any credibility.

I truly hate to ever leave a poor review for another author. I wish he had not given me reason to do so. But unfortunately since the book is presented as a something that should teach us something but shows no scholarly potential, I must rate it 1 out of 5.

View Misreading Judas on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”