ARA Review by sharanjit kaur 6 of Julu

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharanjit kaur 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by sharanjit kaur 6 of Julu

Post by sharanjit kaur 6 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Julu.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Julu by Jan Anderegg is the first magical novel in a series of fantasy books. The excellent writing takes the reader on a journey through different times and worlds, changing between the one we know, and a magical kingdom called “Jirvania”. This is a place where stories grow, where imagination runs free, and a magical library holds every story ever written. In this library, the can characters step into books and live out the stories for themselves. Unfortunately, there is a dark evil threatening the land of Jirvania, which would have terrible consequences for imagination everywhere. The author begins the book in the future, where Jirvania has already been destroyed, but hope remains! The author takes the reader through a journey where the characters must figure out how to rewrite the story and save Jirvania.

The author explores themes of friendship, loyalty, family and kindness through well-developed characters. These characters embark on various adventures and are pushed to figure out who they really are. This book is an original fantasy novel that features an entire, well-thought-out fictional universe, packed full of adventure and inspiration.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. One of the many positive aspects I enjoyed whilst reading this book was the beginning of each chapter. The author includes a thoughtful quote which is aimed to broaden the author’s literary interests and inspire deeper thought. As the storyline weaves through different time zones and worlds, the author also includes “Time Alerts” at the start of each chapter which makes it very easy for the reader to understand where they are in the story.

The characters that feature in this book are well-developed and relatable. This adds a level of realism, allowing the reader to relate to and understand the moral challenges of the characters. The author continues this by conveying a true-to-life feel to a magical story. For example, the characters are not ‘all-knowing’ and sometimes make mistakes, adding a level of humanity. In particular, I enjoyed following along with the character Ban, a loyal white wolf who begins their story as a side character. However, as the story progresses the author slowly reveals their importance and integral role in the plot. The theme of this book is fairy-tale so many different mythological creatures appear. These range from fairies and dragons, to talking squirrels and witches.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I could not find any negative points.

Overall, I was completely absorbed whilst reading this book and I was excited to find out that there will be more novels to follow. I would recommend this book to young readers with vivid imaginations. Specifically, for people aged 10-16 and who are interested in stories like the Eragon or Harry Potter series. Whilst reading, I did not notice any errors and would say that the book was exceptionally well edited.

View Julu on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”