ARA Review by Phil Radcliffe of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phil Radcliffe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

ARA Review by Phil Radcliffe of In It Together

Post by Phil Radcliffe »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I found this an interesting, well written and challenging book. The Author presents the concept of man’s soul as an existent component separate but equal from man’s body or mind. In my opinion the author sidesteps the issue of the Creator initiating the soul’s existence by deflecting the question of where the soul comes from. The author makes a purely metaphysical presentation that soul is present in all humans and is the compelling vehicle that unites us all. Humans consist of two “yous”, the false self or ego and the real you or consciousness. These two divisions are observable in all humans, and it is our continuous challenge to enable our “real you” to reduce or eliminate the influence of our “false you” and thus manifest our love and free our spirit.

I have no debate with the soul’s existence; it is what C. S. Lewis referred to as “that still small voice” that exists in each of us, telling us the difference between right and wrong. The Author would take exception to the use of “right” or “wrong” pointing out that acute awareness of consciousness will avoid wrong. Be that as it may, there is no disagreement that the “spirit” or “soul” is a fundamental component of our existence.

Confusing this thesis of consciousness and the false you is yet another version of human referred to as the philosophical zombie. This creature has instinctive empathy but cannot empathize with the conscious experience of another creature. I interpret this to mean that the zombie does not have any capacity for depth of feeling but rather presents a shallow version of a consciousness. These zombies appear among us and seem to be conscious beings but since they cannot perceive the consciousness of others, they are lesser beings.

The experience of true consciousness is not only experienced in time, but also spatial. The Author quotes a passage from a letter by Albert Einstein that presents the concept that we exist not only in time but in the Universe in which we live. The author goes to some length to illustrate our oneness with the world.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The book is thought provoking and positive in presentation. My only reservation stems from my bias that non-fiction works examine their subject in real world terms as well as philosophically or metaphysically.

I recommend this to readers of non-fiction works who want their minds challenged and their spirits lifted.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”