ARA Review by Clare Blando of Second Born

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clare Blando
Favorite Book: David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400698987

ARA Review by Clare Blando of Second Born

Post by Clare Blando »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Second Born.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Books related to the Bible are usually enjoyable and even informative. Second Born by Patrick W. Anderson stands out for several reasons and I give it four out of five stars. The book is refreshing for its use of modern terms and phrases which may appeal to today’s audience who may not be accustomed to Biblical language. Some events are interpreted differently than I remember learning but that is okay because the Bible will always be open to interpretation.

The story begins with Mary and Joseph searching for Jesus who is twelve and lost in the city. They find him in the temple where he is talking with the elders. After leaving, the family comes across a beggar in the street asking for help, which they give him in spite of Father Joseph’s protest. Joseph is not a carpenter but a wealthy resident of Nazareth whose wine is highly sought after. Mother Mary, “Mom”, has complete authority in her household and commands respect but with love and benevolence. Jesus is the second born to Joseph and Mary with James being the oldest brother followed by Jesus, Joses, Simon, and Judas. Judas displays a stutter, which is likely the result of living in the shadow of older brothers and dominant mother Mary. While James is studying for the priesthood, Jesus is a “man of the people” and prefers traveling the countryside between Jerusalem, Galilee, and Sepphoris. The younger Simon becomes an accomplished protector of Jesus and others as they travel the dangerous roads between destinations. He and his guards must defend against robbers and Romans who want to acquire wealth either by force or by taxation. After their cousin John the Baptist is beheaded by Herod, the people turn to Jesus as the possible Savior and begin to journey toward Jerusalem for a festival. As Jesus travels toward Jerusalem, he amasses followers and performs a number of miracles such as restoring sight to the blind, changing water into wine, and feeding five thousand with two loaves and three fishes. Herod takes notice of Jesus as he approaches Jerusalem and the reader knows the rest of the story. Or do they?

Because a number of names, relationships, and events from the Bible were altered (reimagined), the story became confusing. Although the author repeated names regularly, it nevertheless remained difficult to track the changes. I wish the book had contained a Table of Contents to allow referral back to previous chapters. Jesus’ brothers, James, Joses, Simon, and Judas, were apostles in the Bible but not necessarily brothers. Whether these followers of Jesus were brothers, half-brothers, friends or apostles is a point that is up to interpretation. Regardless, they are brothers in this novel, and the word “apostle” is never used. Additionally, whether Judas and Thomas are two men, or one man who is named Judas-Thomas, is something the reader can decide.

The changes in the language from Biblical to modern-day English such as “Father” to “Dad” and “Mother” to “Mom” were bold and refreshing. In addition, while phrases such as “pump my fist” and “owe me big time” or “dream on” were endearing in a Bible story, I had difficulty with some other changes. I had a much harder time with Mary, the mother of Jesus, ruling over her family like an iron lady. In addition, when Jesus declares “Women have equal standing but that would take a long time to sink in”, seemed to me, simply pandering to a modern audience rather than foreshadowing. That commentary, frankly, is unnecessary given that, at least in America, women have enjoyed equal standing since the 19th Amendment was ratified over 100 years ago. Nevertheless, if this book is translated into Middle Eastern languages, Jesus’ declaration would be appropriate in countries that endorse Sharia law.

Without giving away any spoilers, the ending was both surprising and puzzling. Everyone knows, or should know, how a book about Jesus will end. That said, I was still surprised by the way this book concluded. The story was not just reimagined, it was also rewritten. It will be up to the reader to decide whether to appreciate, or reject, Anderson’s retelling of Bible stories we’ve known our whole lives. That said, Second Born is worth the time.

View Second Born on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”