ARA Review by MikeCyberMillion of The High Queen

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MikeCyberMillion
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by MikeCyberMillion of The High Queen

Post by MikeCyberMillion »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The High Queen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The High Queen Book Review.

The thing that stood out for me straight away in this book was the level of detail. In the prologue you get given an overview of how ‘the government’ works. The world is called Ternaro. The set up proved helpful as the chapters went by. I liked the word magic was named magix.

Queens run the place whilst kings defend. There is one High Queen chosen. A circle of 12 who look after the ‘magix’ and well being, Higher Councils for education whilst the lower one manages medical.

In the first couple of chapters we learn the current High Queen Corya may not have been intended to rule. Princess Anna-Sophia learns her mother was meant to. Someone is plotting to bring a prophecy of the ‘Dark Days’ to life. When her sister is killed the princess has to go into hiding. She is renamed Sophie and relocated. She must pretend she is not royalty. She has an uncle who looks after her but outside she must refer to him a guardian.

The main villain ‘Mortrano’ gets introduced as the story goes on and I like how his plans for revenge fit in nicely with the story. How he changed the crowning of The High Queen. Fortunately the lady picked is kind and Sophie’s mother is not bitter. Mortrano is an angry man and I like how his backstory is revealed. I do like the ‘bad gang’ Mortrano makes and that he chooses the colour black. Now some residents just dress in black so working out who is actually in the gang is complicated. They operate in the shadows which heightened the fear. What will they do next? How far will Mortrano take his revenge?

There is only one minor change I would suggest. Some names are not given until later, like Sophie’s mother. Important characters should be named when introduced. Especially ones at the beginning. This did not disrupt my enjoyment.

I rate this 5 out of 5 stars! The reason I give 5 is the level of detail in the world creation is outstanding. There’s plenty of intrigue and dynamics!

View The High Queen on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”