ARA Review by golubinka5 of Songs from the Other Side

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
golubinka5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

ARA Review by golubinka5 of Songs from the Other Side

Post by golubinka5 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Songs from the Other Side.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book "The Songs from the Other Side" by Robyn Bernstein was interesting to me for a number of reasons. The book will want you to be more attention-oriented.

First of all, I learned the dynamics of the relationships within an immediate family. The Mom and Dad weren't used by their names, which means to me they can be anyone's mom and dad and both perceived for their parental roles and responsibilities.

Coming from slightly different culture, it was fun to learn that one's parents don't have put their not-so-young anymore children into really bad situations to be hated by them. The story describes every thought, word, and action that the main character didn't like about theor parents and almost nothing she liked.

The mother goes out of her ways to connect and keep the peace, create memories, and just show how to be happy together as a family. I rate those book 4 out of 5 because I didn't see much personal growth of the narrator as an individual, a "Daughter," as the science says. For example, here, I have a whole family that cares for me, but I'll dedicate paragraphs to complain about my mother's little hair sticking of her arm pit, and other harmless details that have nothing to do with what parents should be like.

I also rate 4 out of 5 because of one sentence that was confusing and I wish I could ask the writer what did they mean by it or how was it supposed to sound. One thing I didn't like that I was down to six percent, when I where was an incomplete information about mom's health, and the author didn't want to go back to it, like it wasn't important enough. There also is always going to be a crisis to go through, but why don't people remember to love and be appreciative? This book makes me feel like I wish I could as the writer many questions or just have a good conversation. For example, does the loss always make us feel more love towards something or someone we had known, or resent and blame even more?

View Songs from the Other Side on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”