ARA Review by Olivia8 of Political Dirty Trick

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olivia8
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Olivia8 of Political Dirty Trick

Post by Olivia8 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Political Dirty Trick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

5 out of 5

Political Dirty Trick: A Crystal Moore Suspense novel offers a compelling storyline with relatable characters. Set in Texas, the story centers around a Gubernatorial race where the opposing candidate's staff pulls a dirty political trick with deadly consequences. The protagonist, Crystal Moore, becomes an unwitting target of a crazy woman, who seems to grow crazier with every page turn.

Crystal's grandmother, Eula, was without a doubt my favorite character. She is irreverent, witty, loveable, and apparently a wonderful cook. Whether intended or not, she brings a healthy dose of comic relief which helps bring the story alive. My only complaint about her is she won’t share her recipe for chili.

Billy Glothe, or Billy the Goat as his friends call him, also offers a layer of charm and authenticity to the story as the Sheriff leading the investigation.

The main protagonist, Ginnie, is as annoying as I’m sure the author designed her to be. And not very smart as evidenced by her sticking around and, without risking a spoiler alert, returning to wreak more havoc on a situation gone horribly wrong. She was definitely the opposition campaign’s useful idiot, with emphasis on idiot.

Callan does a good job of adding friction to the story throughout the investigation into the murder of one of the candidate’s dear friends, who was simply doing a favor for a friend. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! The local sheriff’s office encounters all the usual obstacles one may suspect during an investigation; although most of these obstacles are constructed not by the story’s antagonists, but by the local District Attorney’s office, which bungles more than one aspect of the investigation.

If you enjoy a quick read with political suspense and a healthy dose of chicanery, this Crystal Moore Suspense won't disappoint. James Callan does an excellent job in bringing his characters to life with authentic dialogue. Even though it’s the third in the series, it’s a wonderful standalone novel. I also love the book cover. Count me in as a new member of the James Callan/Crystal Moore fan club.

View Political Dirty Trick on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”