ARA Review by Chaotic_Reading of Nimue

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chaotic_Reading
Currently Reading: Children of Blood and Bone
Bookshelf Size: 17

ARA Review by Chaotic_Reading of Nimue

Post by Chaotic_Reading »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Nimue.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nina travels to England with her mother where she discovers she may be a reincarnation of Nimue. Meanwhile, Nimue learns how to become a Mage, and struggles to find her place.

The premise of the book feels lacking. The book feels like it is about a lot, yet nothing at all. There is no real climax, and everything works out in the end. Yet, there is so much on personal empowerment, personal discovery, and spirituality, it is quite a good book.

With Nina, the kidnapping scenes didn’t seem all that believable to me. I feel like her calmness, as well as her willingness, to just accept the situation was strange and off. At the end of the book, I felt almost as if Nimue took over Nina’s body, so what happened to Nina? Did she die when she was pushed down the well? Did Nimue simply possess her body, and now Nina is trapped inside her own body and mind? There were a few things left unanswered at the end.

That being said, I did greatly enjoy Nimue’s part of the story, though I have to admit, I was wondering if there was going to be a sex scene every time I turned the page. There was a part of the story where it seemed like that was the only thing that was on her mind, and a warning of sexual content would have been nice. (I really think it should be standard for books to have warnings, same as TV and movies, but that’s just me.)

Overall, this took me longer to finish than I expected. Yes, I had a few days where I was unable to read, but even still, I wasn’t as drawn into this book as I thought I would have been. I could easily put it down, and not worry about it. I didn’t feel a need to rush to finish the book as I have with other books. Because of these reasons, I give it 3 stars out of 5.

Despite the rating, I would recommend this book. It’s an easy read, though there are a lot of names and places that require a little time to sound out. Thankfully there is an index in the back of the book to help with that. But anyone who likes Arthurian Literature, as well as spirituality, will enjoy this book.

View Nimue on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”