ARA Review by M. D. Sanders of Nightlord: Sunset

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
M. D. Sanders
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by M. D. Sanders of Nightlord: Sunset

Post by M. D. Sanders »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Nightlord: Sunset.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Nightlord Sunset, an untenured teacher drowning his sorrows in booze at his friends’ behest wakes to the worst hangover he's had and discovers himself naked in a bed that isn't his, in a house he doesn't recognize, where he re-meets a beautiful woman he doesn't remember. Regrettably. Oh, and he's a vampire now. (Or a nightlord to be specific, in the author's terms.)

The story follows as he comes to terms with his new manner of life, the exact details of what he is, what new powers and capacities and weaknesses came with the package, how he works and why the woman made him like this, how to feed, who's trying to kill him... Ah, yes, little fly in the ointment, that. It seems there are people not too fond of his species that make a point of hunting them down. And- not liking the resulting situation- he decides to hunt them right back: leading him well beyond anywhere he ever expected to find himself, on a number of grand adventures that seem to arise near equally from his curiosity, his altruism, and his desire to not be dead. (Or allow such a state to befall those he grows close to.)

And it is, in a word, fantastic. I actually have no qualms whatever about giving it 5 out of 5 stars. (By which I mean I not only enjoyed it enough to finish it- but might consider rereading it at some point, as well as continuing even if I had to pay for further books in the series. Contrasted against 4 stars, where I'd only read it once and continue if I could get later books without additional cost.)

The author has a delightful way with words, putting in quirky little quips that readily bring a chuckle. The dialogue is excellent, with suitable banter. The characters decently likeable and rounded.

And the author's take on vampires is at least refreshing enough not to feel too suffocated by the well inundated genre. Also, while the main character does not become the ravenous amoral creatures of darkness one might find in historic lore, neither does the author completely eschew the nature of the creatures as blood drinking killers.

With said main character particularly being both overpowered and intelligent enough not to make one cringe back in annoyance, and human enough to make reasonable mistakes and fail in ways with legitimate consequences, while facing real quandaries about the ethics of his new nature making him feel real and not like a self-insert cut-out.

The world, its lore, and its magic system seem decently thought out and interesting enough to want to learn about. Or at least read about the character learning about them.

I would fully endorse it, not only to fans of vampire stories specifically, but to fantasy fans in general as an excellent book, in a series I will be continuing shortly. Though definitely, if you're a fan of vampires, by all means pick it up immediately. (Though by that I do refer to the bloody variety, not the sparkly ones.)

View Nightlord: Sunset on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”