ARA Review by Aulia Poetri of The Girl Who Cheated Death

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aulia Poetri
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Aulia Poetri of The Girl Who Cheated Death

Post by Aulia Poetri »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Girl Who Cheated Death.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Cheated Death by Alan Baker

Geez, where do I even start with this book? Damn, it took me on quite the ride. I mean, it’s not often that you find something so easy to read but so darn captivating. I have to say, the language is pretty simple, and that’s a breath of fresh air, especially for us teens. And trust me, as a person for whom Supernatural and Lucifer are the movies and who’s devoured their fair share of supernatural novels, I had my hopes very high. Did it live up to the hype? Well, kinda.

Let's break it down. The plot? Intriguing as heck. I was hooked from the first page, eager to see where it would take me. And the characters? Oh man, they felt like old friends by the end of it all. Even the ending, which seems to have divided opinions, worked for me. Sure, it was a bit predictable, but sometimes you just gotta embrace the clichés, you know?

Now, onto the rating. Honestly, I'd give this book a solid 3 out of 5 stars. It's not that I didn't enjoy it; I did. There were moments that got me right in the feels, especially when it came to Alex and Carl's relationship. But compared to the heavyweights I usually dive into, like Kafka or the Penguin Collections, where the language is as rich as a chocolate fondue, this book felt a tad flat and awkward. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm a sucker for angel stories, especially ones with those badass angels of God. Can't get enough of 'em!

But hey, don't let my nitpicking deter you. This book's still a winner in my book. If you're new to reading or just looking for a bit of escapism, you can't go wrong here. It's like a cozy blanket on a chilly night, comforting and oh-so-satisfying. So yeah, give it a whirl. You won't regret it.

View The Girl Who Cheated Death on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”