ARA Review by Joseph Babendreier of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joseph Babendreier
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

ARA Review by Joseph Babendreier of In It Together

Post by Joseph Babendreier »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As with many a self-help tract, In It Together proposes a path to personal happiness. It is based on a philosophical mix: the stoicism of Marcus Aurelius, cosmic consciousness, and the Cartesian Cogito. The argument advances four great truths: I do not need to be a slave to my addictions. I can make my own decisions. I was created for some kind of unity with others. Getting there will happen only if I make up my mind to be honest, first all with myself.

The author is listed as Eckhart Aurelius Hughes, the pen name of Scott Hughes, creator of the OnlineBookClub. He uses a personal approach to challenge the reader on every page. If you want to be happy, face up to the uncomfortable fact of your freedom. You will discover your true self and your unity with others. Achieving this does not come easy. The subtitle is meant to reassure: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.

What’s the winning strategy? To summarize it here would be a spoiler.

Self-help books come and go. Is there anything original in this one? Check the discussion on Einstein’s theory about the space-time continuum and how a person experiences awareness of self: past, present and future.

Philosophical discussions make for heavy reading; more so when dealing with the obtuse topic of cosmic consciousness. The constant use of short sentences makes the text easy to follow, as does the polished prose and the professional editing. That is one of many positives.

Is there a negative? You are asked to accept an odd claim: You and the person next to you are identical; you share the same spirit; your body, and that of the other person, are mere clothing. Some readers may balk at such a claim, this reviewer being one of them. I do not become one spirit with another person—we do not share the same spirit—unless the two of us choose to make that happen. Since Hughes speaks eloquently about personal freedom, maybe that is what he really means. Perhaps, in a future edition, that point can be clarified.

I have chosen to give the book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars—four and not five because of the negative mentioned. The positive is very positive. The book offers eleven practical suggestions. All are excellent, and those chapters comprise almost half the book. The last chapter is a gem.

The obvious audience would be readers looking for advice on how to make better decisions, especially if they are wrestling with an addiction.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”