ARA Review by Lacynda Mathes of Jennifer's Secret

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lacynda Mathes
Currently Reading: An Innovative Murder for the Season
Bookshelf Size: 17
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

ARA Review by Lacynda Mathes of Jennifer's Secret

Post by Lacynda Mathes »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Jennifer's Secret.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jennifer's Secret by Kathy Madsen is a fun and sexy ghost story. The novel is engaging. The characters are mostly well developed and believable. It's a cozy book, perfect for cool days under a blanket. It's a fun book to read.

Jennifer Shemmer, grieving the deaths of her parents over a short period of time and the end of her marriage thanks to her cold-fish cheating ex, learns that her estranged elderly Aunt Ruth has left her everything. Jennifer, desperate for a change, moves to a new town in a new state to start a new life. As she embraces her new life, she finds herself drawn to the handsome man who had stopped by to offer his condolences upon the passing of her aunt. He's not only handsome, but attentive and charismatic. Meanwhile she starts to notice a presence in her house. She finds among the antiques two of her aunt's diaries from her youth, which sparks Jennifer's search into the identity of the entity haunting her home and how it came to be there. Ted's motives are unclear, and the ghost doesn't seem to like him much.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I liked the author's writing. The book was well edited. The story was fun. The characters were well developed. However, I felt it went a little long (over 300 pages} and that a key character was added way later than I liked. He didn't get the attention from the author he deserved, and a lot of his arc was revealed in a summarizing dialogue instead of in the action of the novel (again, not getting the attention he deserved). In the end this is a minor criticism, though, as I immediately started reading the second book in the series.

I highly recommend this book to fans of cozy romantic ghost stories.

View Jennifer's Secret on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”