ARA Review by Edmund Spencer Katso of Medieval Gwennic and other Creatures of Corfe

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Edmund Spencer Katso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

ARA Review by Edmund Spencer Katso of Medieval Gwennic and other Creatures of Corfe

Post by Edmund Spencer Katso »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Medieval Gwennic and other Creatures of Corfe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The narrative was compelling and even a little whimsical with its range of talking magical creatures. It comes complete with the inevitable three witches named in this case Duella, Dravena and Divina.
I enjoyed following Kipper’s exploits and I was intrigued by looking at the world from his perspective; as well as by the mediating role played by Archimedes.

There were many occasions however when the narrative was obvious and easily predictable, but this did not always work against it; the simplicity and predictability of the narrative actually made surprises more impactful when they came.

The character of Gwennic was enigmatic as both heroine and victim and her proximity to nature provides the main driving force behind the narrative. I particularly enjoyed her role in the healing of Ellavelle and part played by her maid’s hair Daisy in the appendicitis episode.

King Aethelstan and Wilfred were often too good to be true as characters, but their idealism provided a direct contrast to the pure evil exuded by Pulsar and Puppeta and the gang of pugs.

I found that the fantastic story beautifully showcased the importance of preserving the natural world and the harmony that can be achieved when humans are animals coexist symbiotically. The dangers that can arise when humans fail to work with nature are highlighted.

The characters were well formed and played their respective roles satisfactorily except perhaps Captain Agricola whose motivations were not always clear for the important role he eventually plays.

The animal characters in particular were well done and they were able to elicit the most appropriate reactions and emotions.

From the first page one is transported into a magical world where the main characters are able to harness the powers of nature and to communicate with animals in a completely believable way.

The important themes of friendship, courage and compassion are explored through the characters of Pluskas, Sandro, Jofftal and Pip.

The setting of Wintancaester on Corfe provides one with a palpable nostalgic sense and a longing for a long lost golden age, when the power of nature was supreme. The sense of loss is further enhanced by the untimely demise of so many good people particularly Gwennic’s mentor Jacquevine and her companion Stanton. I fully expected a bigger role for Tam too and I was moved by the heroics of the blind baker of Castleton.

The pacing of the plot keeps you engaged all the way with a perfect balance of action, suspense and moments of quiet introspection. The author’s writing style is both engaging and lyrical and is often humorous; for example the titillating character of Quorroc is transformed into the fire magician Rocky.

The identity of the heir to the throne is kept secret for the entire story. It is only hinted at towards the end of this episode and it hints at more magic exploits to come and enjoyed at a future date.

I was disappointed that the druids who held so much promise at the beginning of the story were not developed further.The ending was disappointing and it appeared to have been artificially engineered to set up the scene for a sequel.

The book, is highly entertaining and most enjoyable. I fully recommend it to all those fantasy fans who want to read about an inevitable victory of good over evil and to those readers who still believe in a better more just world.

My rating of the book is 4 out of five.

View Medieval Gwennic and other Creatures of Corfe on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”