Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:57
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:42 I also believe this was an accident. The book even says that Larry didn't know about the insurance policy. Also, I believe that Larry cared enough about Louise that he would have worked harder to put her mind at ease about her suspicions of his unfaithfulness if he believed he would never see her again.
I find it hard to believe that spent so much time with whatsherface and did not find the policy.
That's a good point. I see where you are coming from there. I don't think we really get a quantified amount of time that Larry spent with her, though. Any amount of time from Louise's perspective is going to seem like an eternity. Also, the policy was taken out by Louise's father and it could've taken time to dig through years of paperwork, especially if they weren't digitized. The specific details of this were pretty vague, probably purposefully.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 11:04
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:42 I also believe this was an accident. The book even says that Larry didn't know about the insurance policy. Also, I believe that Larry cared enough about Louise that he would have worked harder to put her mind at ease about her suspicions of his unfaithfulness if he believed he would never see her again.
I find it hard to believe that spent so much time with whatsherface and did not find the policy.
That's a good point. I see where you are coming from there. I don't think we really get a quantified amount of time that Larry spent with her, though. Any amount of time from Louise's perspective is going to seem like an eternity. Also, the policy was taken out by Louise's father and it could've taken time to dig through years of paperwork, especially if they weren't digitized. The specific details of this were pretty vague, probably purposefully.
Hopefully the author details how they met and further expand on their personalities.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 13:13
Ekta Kumari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 03:42 Interesting question. I do not think it to be a lie. The way it happened and the timing of it was way too unpredictable for it to be a planned incident. It was definitely not planned.
just before the cable snapped , he had a chance to dive to safety considering his many years- experience.
:tiphat: :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

"any time Larry spent with the banker would seem like an eternity to Louise"
soo true
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 22:34

"any time Larry spent with the banker would seem like an eternity to Louise"
soo true
:tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 14:21
Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:41 I think it was an accident. Why on earth would anyone PLAN to die in such an agonizing way, even if it were a massive amount of insurance money?
I think it was in the moment, seeing the cable about to snap, he saw a way of getting the insurance money for Louise and the company. I don't think he thought he might survive the initial "accident" and he definitely didn't plan on the amputation.
really consider this.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I think it was an accident. He was too cocky to allow himself to make such a grievous mustache. I also could go either way on whether he knew about the insurance. He seemed smart enough to know, but it’s still hard to say!
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 23:00
DC Brown wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:38
TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:25 I think it was an accident. The money from salvaging the Express was supposed to save their business, so there was no need for Larry to stage his accident. The money from his life insurance was indeed helpful by allowing Louise to pay their crew sooner, but I don't think their business was depending on it.
I have to agree. The money from the claim would've covered all their expenses. Although, his spending so much time with the lady lawyer would make one wonder, wouldn't it?!!
The questions overwhelm the answers in the story.
The questions are quite interesting. Wonder if there is another book in the works to explain??
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

amandathebibliophile wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:46 I think it was an accident. He was too cocky to allow himself to make such a grievous mustache. I also could go either way on whether he knew about the insurance. He seemed smart enough to know, but it’s still hard to say!
just like the author wanted.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

DC Brown wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:47

I have to agree. The money from the claim would've covered all their expenses. Although, his spending so much time with the lady lawyer would make one wonder, wouldn't it?!!
The questions are quite interesting. Wonder if there is another book in the works to explain??
Great question, should probably ask the author in his topic thread.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

DC Brown wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:47

Great question, should probably ask the author in his topic thread.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 20:45 I'd like to think of it as an accident. The others knew he took the most dangerous job. What bothers me is why he did not enlighten Louise about her misconception.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

As the other participants, I think that it was an accident. I can begin to imagine how one can plan to cut their arm and leg in that manner. It was a terrible accident.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Agnes098 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 10:34 As the other participants, I think that it was an accident. I can begin to imagine how one can plan to cut their arm and leg in that manner. It was a terrible accident.
NO...what we're suggesting is that Larry spent a lot of time looking through the documents and must have found the only insurance policy under their company. That he neither revealed this nor confessed what he was doing to Louise is telling. He could not plan for the random events on the Express, but with his VAST experience in tugging boats, I doubt he could not foresee the cable "might" snap. That he did not attempt to dive to safety is also telling. I'm suggesting that he saw the cable might snap a second before it did, refused to dive to safety hoping for a quick death, only to have fate intervene and deliver a slow one through amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 11:20
Agnes098 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 10:34 As the other participants, I think that it was an accident. I can begin to imagine how one can plan to cut their arm and leg in that manner. It was a terrible accident.
NO...what we're suggesting is that Larry spent a lot of time looking through the documents and must have found the only insurance policy under their company. That he neither revealed this nor confessed what he was doing to Louise is telling. He could not plan for the random events on the Express, but with his VAST experience in tugging boats, I doubt he could not foresee the cable "might" snap. That he did not attempt to dive to safety is also telling. I'm suggesting that he saw the cable might snap a second before it did, refused to dive to safety hoping for a quick death, only to have fate intervene and deliver a slow one through amputation.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”