How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Post by Ekta Kumari »

The part where William was found alive was the most exciting one for me. I was not sure if he would be alive after so much time of being alone without any help in that climate. Though, the book has many parts that can make your heart race out of curiosity to know the next plot twist.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Larry's accident was so sudden that it caught me off guard. It made me anxious to know if Larry can survive in the end.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I think the first scene was very engaging and horrifying at the same time. I wasn't scared, in that my heart was racing, but I felt the desperation of the sailors who had to abandon ship and risk their lives in December weather. I think the book captures the desperation of the situation perfectly.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Radiant3 »

A very intense book throughout, especially the ocean scenes and the parts when they were in the lifeboats.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3078
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Circle of Innocents by Stephen D. Curtis

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Some parts were definitely terrifying. I am one person who'd hate to experience such incidents in the open seas. I can't imagine floating for days on a lifeboat without knowing where I am headed to. It was made worse by the fact that the communication dveices were down.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:36 Since I'm kind of afraid of even being out on the ocean, being in a crisis that far away from land or help is one of my worst nightmares. There were a couple of scenes in the book that became too intense for me. (I know, a testament to the author's writing) and I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it for a bit. Did anyone else experience this? What scene was it that 'spooked' you?
I found that the fate of the second rescue boat as it approached the coast was the most suspenseful.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would have to go with Larry's accident. The description of how it happened and how they had to struggle to get him to a place where they could care for him was emotionally overwhelming. The descriptions of the improvised blood transfusions made me squeamish! After all their lifesaving efforts, the news of his death was a blow. I was really hoping that all their medical efforts were going to have a different outcome.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 04:50 The part where William was found alive was the most exciting one for me. I was not sure if he would be alive after so much time of being alone without any help in that climate. Though, the book has many parts that can make your heart race out of curiosity to know the next plot twist.
This part found me both excited and relieved! I was so sure he wasn't going to make it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!!

Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:36 Larry's accident was so sudden that it caught me off guard. It made me anxious to know if Larry can survive in the end.
The accident was horrible!!! No warning at all. I just didn't see how he could possibly survive that. I must admit, the goriness also made me a bit squeamish. Thanks for your comments!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Galesphere wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:19 I think the first scene was very engaging and horrifying at the same time. I wasn't scared, in that my heart was racing, but I felt the desperation of the sailors who had to abandon ship and risk their lives in December weather. I think the book captures the desperation of the situation perfectly.
Horrifying is a perfect word for it! I don't know that I was 'scared' but it definitely made me scared for them!! I can't even imagine being in that situation. And yes, the author does a great job portraying the heightened emotions throughout the novel, which just makes everything all the more intense! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Radiant3 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 15:07 A very intense book throughout, especially the ocean scenes and the parts when they were in the lifeboats.
Kibetious wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 05:53 Some parts were definitely terrifying. I am one person who'd hate to experience such incidents in the open seas. I can't imagine floating for days on a lifeboat without knowing where I am headed to. It was made worse by the fact that the communication dveices were down.
I find it difficult to imagine having to survive on a lifeboat as well, especially cut off from all civilization and having no clue where I was. It's enough to make one go barmy just from the fright itself and worse and worse with each day that passes!! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 06:06
Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:36 Since I'm kind of afraid of even being out on the ocean, being in a crisis that far away from land or help is one of my worst nightmares. There were a couple of scenes in the book that became too intense for me. (I know, a testament to the author's writing) and I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it for a bit. Did anyone else experience this? What scene was it that 'spooked' you?
I found that the fate of the second rescue boat as it approached the coast was the most suspenseful.
I think I was on pins and needles with this one as well!! Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 21:33 I would have to go with Larry's accident. The description of how it happened and how they had to struggle to get him to a place where they could care for him was emotionally overwhelming. The descriptions of the improvised blood transfusions made me squeamish! After all their lifesaving efforts, the news of his death was a blow. I was really hoping that all their medical efforts were going to have a different outcome.
I know! It was awful. After all that they did to try and save him, finding out that he had died anyway was a real emotional blow. I had hoped that he would survive, but knowing what his injuries were I couldn't really think that he would. Still, the hope held out...and then was dashed. (And don't worry, you're not alone, the gory parts made me squeamish too.) Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Nerea wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 02:35 For me it was different, the more scary the scene seemed to be the more I wanted to read. I'd say the book is balanced in the sense that the author chipped in less terrifying scenes in between the terrifying ones. This is what helped endure in my reading.
It is the exact opposite for me. I do not mind a few intense scenes, but I need many light scenes to cover for it.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I think Larry's accident was the most intense. However the more intense it got, the more I was drawn in. Overall, I do not think the incidents were too extreme as to be disconcerting, I enjoyed every bit.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3078
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Circle of Innocents by Stephen D. Curtis

Post by Kibet Hillary »

One of the parts I found really suspenseful was where both Randall and Steve did not know how each of them was fairing together with the crew they were with. I can imagine myself being in either Steve's or Randall's shoe and you cannot stop thinking whether your colleagues are dead or alive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”