Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by briellejee »

I don't think someone could lie when amputation is the result. Larry's was an accident, I think. I mean, even though there's insurance, it's not like losing just money or a tooth, it's losing an arm and a leg, and even blood. Hell, he died. So, stretching that too far for just a lie and for life insurance? I don't think so. No one would in the right mind to do so.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 23:03
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:44 I feel like it was an accident. He didn't seem to have the type of personality that would just give up. I think he was fighting to save that ship to get back above-board financially. He just made a silly mistake that cost him his life.
I have a problem reconciling the number of successful tugging claims they had before he had the accident, his statement, "rookie mistake", and the sudden appearance of the life insuarance policy. Please tell it isn't just me :tiphat:
I don't know. I think anyone can make a mistake at any given moment and the ice and weather conditions made that easier to happen. Just my thoughts.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Prisallen wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 07:01
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:44 I feel like it was an accident. He didn't seem to have the type of personality that would just give up. I think he was fighting to save that ship to get back above-board financially. He just made a silly mistake that cost him his life.
I have a problem reconciling the number of successful tugging claims they had before he had the accident, his statement, "rookie mistake", and the sudden appearance of the life insuarance policy. Please tell it isn't just me :tiphat:
I don't know. I think anyone can make a mistake at any given moment and the ice and weather conditions made that easier to happen. Just my thoughts.
Someone wrote that the author intended for this to be one of the mysteries in this book and although I like the book more for having this major mystery, I do not like the headache it's given me.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:42
Someone wrote that the author intended for this to be one of the mysteries in this book and although I like the book more for having this major mystery, I do not like the headache it's given me.W
I understand that. It does make you wonder.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Prisallen wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 10:00
Someone wrote that the author intended for this to be one of the mysteries in this book and although I like the book more for having this major mystery, I do not like the headache it's given me.W
I'm wondering whether it was intentional plot twist or whether Larry's character left enough room to make this happen. At start of the book I was against him, believing he'd cheated on Louise. By the end of the book he is vindicated, but that left enough room to ask If he wasn't cheating on Louise and was actually going through documents, how likely is it that in the entire rime he looked through the documents he had not found the life Insurance policy. Then there is the fact he avoided answering Louise when she confronts him on cheating. At the time, I had put it down to "the cheating spouse shrugg-off" but after the discovery of the life insurance policy I have to think that he was afraid to tell her what he had discovered. Telling the truth about his fidelity would have led to revealing looking for documents, and I don't think he could have kept the discovery of the Policy from Louise if she asked him what he had found.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 00:04
I'm wondering whether it was intentional plot twist or whether Larry's character left enough room to make this happen. At start of the book I was against him, believing he'd cheated on Louise. By the end of the book he is vindicated, but that left enough room to ask If he wasn't cheating on Louise and was actually going through documents, how likely is it that in the entire rime he looked through the documents he had not found the life Insurance policy. Then there is the fact he avoided answering Louise when she confronts him on cheating. At the time, I had put it down to "the cheating spouse shrugg-off" but after the discovery of the life insurance policy I have to think that he was afraid to tell her what he had discovered. Telling the truth about his fidelity would have led to revealing looking for documents, and I don't think he could have kept the discovery of the Policy from Louise if she asked him what he had found.
Hmm. You have put a lot more thought into this than I have. I have to agree that it is definitely possible that he ran across the policy, and the fact that he didn't mention it to Louise is questionable. However, the fact that he went right to sleep after she questioned him about his possible affair, and was soon snoring, led me to believe that he wasn't feeling guilty or worrying about anything. I think if he was considering committing suicide, he would have been up alnight thinking about it.
Kister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kister94 »

I think it was an accident because he couldn't have possibly planned for his death.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kister94 wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 10:47 I think it was an accident because he couldn't have possibly planned for his death.
I think he could and probably did based on the books ending.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Prisallen wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 07:21
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 00:04

Hmm. You have put a lot more thought into this than I have. I have to agree that it is definitely possible that he ran across the policy, and the fact that he didn't mention it to Louise is questionable. However, the fact that he went right to sleep after she questioned him about his possible affair, and was soon snoring, led me to believe that he wasn't feeling guilty or worrying about anything. I think if he was considering committing suicide, he would have been up alnight thinking about it.
Unless, he had come to terms with his suicidal plan.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

This is a very intriguing question. An aspect of this part of the book that I hadn’t considered. At first I really thought it was an accident. I still mostly do. However, you make some good points. Maybe Larry found the insurance policy, knew they were in trouble, and decided to off himself to help Louise. He could have planned to make a “rookie mistake” and messed up his attempt. Plenty of people attempt suicide because they think they have no other choice and they feel that their family would be better off with the money. A follow up question for you......if he did do this on purpose to try to help, and Louise somehow found this out, how much worse would she feel for thinking that he was cheating on her?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 22:48 This is a very intriguing question. An aspect of this part of the book that I hadn’t considered. At first I really thought it was an accident. I still mostly do. However, you make some good points. Maybe Larry found the insurance policy, knew they were in trouble, and decided to off himself to help Louise. He could have planned to make a “rookie mistake” and messed up his attempt. Plenty of people attempt suicide because they think they have no other choice and they feel that their family would be better off with the money. A follow up question for you......if he did do this on purpose to try to help, and Louise somehow found this out, how much worse would she feel for thinking that he was cheating on her?
She would feel soooo much worse, and she'd deserve it. I was actually pissed at her for insisting on the cheating story. I felt like in a way, Larry used her mistrust to plan his suicide.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 15:31 It was definitely an accident. The way he list his leg and hand must have been quite painful. It was not possible to plan that.
All i'm saying is that he placed himself on the path of the cable hoping to die instantaneously and give Louise and the tug boat business a chance. That he got amputated was unforseen. He knew the likely path the cable would pass but not the exact route.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

I believe this was an accident. I don't think he could have planned this especially knowing how much he was enthusiastic about getting on the Express.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Michgal 32 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 05:36 I believe this was an accident. I don't think he could have planned this especially knowing how much he was enthusiastic about getting on the Express.
Recall that he probably found the insurance policy before this and he put himself on the path of the loose cable " a rookie mistake," he said. That and the fact that he was worried bcoz the Buckhorn tugs would probably try and take the Express from them and.....
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 03:39 I don't think someone could lie when amputation is the result. Larry's was an accident, I think. I mean, even though there's insurance, it's not like losing just money or a tooth, it's losing an arm and a leg, and even blood. Hell, he died. So, stretching that too far for just a lie and for life insurance? I don't think so. No one would in the right mind to do so.
I think in his mind he saw it as making the ultimate sacrifice, giving Louise a better life going forward.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”