Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 11:32 If you go back and reread location 3782, you will see that it was actually Suzette that discovered the insurance policy - after Larry and Louise were out to sea. Later, Louise confirms that neither of them knew about the policy her father had put in place (loc. 4296). Louise was just jealous of Suzette. She laments (lpc. 3790), "she'd been so wrong about Larry." It was an accident!
questionable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 14:15
kdstrack wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 11:32 If you go back and reread location 3782, you will see that it was actually Suzette that discovered the insurance policy - after Larry and Louise were out to sea. Later, Louise confirms that neither of them knew about the policy her father had put in place (loc. 4296). Louise was just jealous of Suzette. She laments (lpc. 3790), "she'd been so wrong about Larry." It was an accident!
questionable.
:tiphat:
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

I just read chapter 15 where Larry suffers the injury. I think it is too complicated of an injury in addition to the timing to be an accident. There isn't a way to plan that.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

IloveSpain01 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 21:53 I just read chapter 15 where Larry suffers the injury. I think it is too complicated of an injury in addition to the timing to be an accident. There isn't a way to plan that.
I'm arguing that he didn't plan it, but he certainly did not jump out the way-with all his experience, he should have at least attempted to move.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 03:35
CharlizeGwapa wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 11:55 i didn't think about it so much, but, I think it was indeed an accident. Good point you got there.
Take some time, review what we know and the revelation that there was a insurance policy which Larry may have found, then ....Welcome to the Rebellion, where we question even the author's verdict :tiphat:
I hope everyone joins the Rebellion :tiphat:
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

The accident not only put risk on Lary but also had an effect on others. I don't think he could intentionaly plan and execute such a horrible thing. I think it was just a genuine accident.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:04 The accident not only put risk on Lary but also had an effect on others. I don't think he could intentionaly plan and execute such a horrible thing. I think it was just a genuine accident.
I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:38
juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:04 The accident not only put risk on Lary but also had an effect on others. I don't think he could intentionaly plan and execute such a horrible thing. I think it was just a genuine accident.
I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 14:21
Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:41 I think it was an accident. Why on earth would anyone PLAN to die in such an agonizing way, even if it were a massive amount of insurance money?
I think it was in the moment, seeing the cable about to snap, he saw a way of getting the insurance money for Louise and the company. I don't think he thought he might survive the initial "accident" and he definitely didn't plan on the amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

YL_Eytka wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 16:31 I think it was an accident, the death seemed way to brutal to have been planned, but on a somewhat unrelated note, when Louise said that they needed a big claim, I had thought she had meant a life insurance claim and therefore thought there would b a subplot of either Larry or Louise dying for a life insurance claim (silly I know, I'm not too familiar with boats)
agree to disagree.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I believe it was real. Why would he choose to make himself suffer a painful death when he could just make it simpler, he even lost his foot.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 20:09 I believe it was real. Why would he choose to make himself suffer a painful death when he could just make it simpler, he even lost his foot.
It was a life insurance policy in the event one of the owners DIED while out during a tug.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 20:09 I believe it was real. Why would he choose to make himself suffer a painful death when he could just make it simpler, he even lost his foot.
It was a life insurance policy in
the event one of the owners
DIED while out during a tug.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I believe it was an accident. There were other ways to earn money, so I do not think Larry would intentionally cause the accident.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 02:39 I believe it was an accident. There were other ways to earn money, so I do not think Larry would intentionally cause the accident.
I believe it was an accident,but I also think Larry could've dived to safety but chose not to. I believe he did this because he'd already seen the policy, returned it to its original place, and waited for any opportunity during any tug for his life to be i danger.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”