Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Maybe he didn't plan it, and certainly not to go the awful way he did (maybe he hoped for a quick death), but it's possible that he knew about the insurance and simply used the situation to his advantage. He saw that the conditions were awful, and that it might redirect people from any suspicions, so he just put himself out there. If it is true, it was the biggest sacrifice one can make for the people he loves.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I don't think Larry planned it, at the very least. The timing does seem suspicious, though... It almost makes me think that another character had a hand in it somehow, despite all the coincidental timing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 22:28 Maybe he didn't plan it, and certainly not to go the awful way he did (maybe he hoped for a quick death), but it's possible that he knew about the insurance and simply used the situation to his advantage. He saw that the conditions were awful, and that it might redirect people from any suspicions, so he just put himself out there. If it is true, it was the biggest sacrifice one can make for the people he loves.
Thank you and welcome to the REBELLION. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ViziVoir wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 23:06 I don't think Larry planned it, at the very least. The timing does seem suspicious, though... It almost makes me think that another character had a hand in it somehow, despite all the coincidental timing.
:tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 May 2019, 00:22
ViziVoir wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 23:06 I don't think Larry planned it, at the very least. The timing does seem suspicious, though... It almost makes me think that another character had a hand in it somehow, despite all the coincidental timing.
Interesting.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 14:15
kdstrack wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 11:32 If you go back and reread location 3782, you will see that it was actually Suzette that discovered the insurance policy - after Larry and Louise were out to sea. Later, Louise confirms that neither of them knew about the policy her father had put in place (loc. 4296). Louise was just jealous of Suzette. She laments (lpc. 3790), "she'd been so wrong about Larry." It was an accident!
questionable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 22:28 Maybe he didn't plan it, and certainly not to go the awful way he did (maybe he hoped for a quick death), but it's possible that he knew about the insurance and simply used the situation to his advantage. He saw that the conditions were awful, and that it might redirect people from any suspicions, so he just put himself out there. If it is true, it was the biggest sacrifice one can make for the people he loves.
Yes it was, and he did it for a woman who at the time thought him of infidelity.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

:techie-reference:
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:55 I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 03:54 Knowing that there was a life insurance policy on the leader of the Warhorse at the end of the book, do you think Larry had an accident or did he plan it?
This was a great discussion. Thank you to all who participated. :tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It indeed was an accident. A very horrible way to die. Although it seems like a possibility because of the insurance policy. I think it's an accident.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I definitely don't think it was planned. Having read further into the book, you can see what kind of guy Larry is and I don't think he was capable of something like that.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Larry's tragedy was certainly a shocking accident. He and his crew were in an extreme situation of facing hazardous
weather conditions on a derelict freighter.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I thought that for a second, but I don't think Larry knew about the insurance policy either. It was in Louise father's will (I think). I think it was an unfortunate accident and not a planned act. Also, I think that since he was sure they were going to get the payout for the salvage, I don't think he or Louise needed it at that point. If they didn't recover the Seattle Express, then maybe it would have made more sense to be a planned suicide. Besides he was still strong and able to find work or maybe even change careers, I don't think he was at a point where suicide for insurance was the only plausible option, even with being mortgaged and indebted. That's what I think. :) :)
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Maeve Mor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Maeve Mor »

Unfortunate as it may seem, Larry's accident is definitely unplanned though the subject of life insurance really seemed to be very suspicious.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Azrevread wrote: 07 May 2019, 15:40 Larry's tragedy was certainly a shocking accident. He and his crew were in an extreme situation of facing hazardous
weather conditions on a derelict freighter.
Larry's accident was certainly a tense moment in the novel, there were several ways that a reader would be concerned
that an injury could go from bad to worse so quickly.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”