Sea voyage terminology

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Re: Sea voyage terminology

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I had to reference the dictionary a few times! While I can't remember specifics now, I'm hoping the definitions will come back to me if they're required in the future!
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

To me this terminologies are always annoying and draw backs. The urge to constantly refer to the dictionary always takes the flow of the story away.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I don't know technical terms about water, let alone seafaring jargon! Anyway, I was lucky enough to read this on my tablet and just click for meanings. I know I learned a few words, but I couldn't tell you which ones. No emotions, as I was able to look them up instantly with the tap of a finger. Loved the book.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Firefawkes wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 22:07 I had to reference the dictionary a few times! While I can't remember specifics now, I'm hoping the definitions will come back to me if they're required in the future!
I also referenced the dictionary. I feel the same way hoping the definitions come back. But if they do, then I'll have to deal with the annoying "How on earth did you know that?" I always get from family!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I love reading books like this on the Kindle, you can easily look things up on there. I usually have to look up unusual terms in case I miss something important from the book. That's why it's sometimes helpful to include a glossary with books that have unusual terms or jargon
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

briellejee wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 03:07 I also had a hard time with the sea jargons. I wished that the author could have explained them even once, even of its just in context.
I had a hard time too. I always appreciate when an author explains, whether in context, footnotes or as a glossary, words that are not familiar for the general audience. It helps me not to lose the reading flow looking up words.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlyt wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 05:16 I had a hard time understanding the technical terms as well especially at the chapter where the Warhorse crew were attaching lines to the Seattle Express. Some of the terms I looked up in the dictionary, but there were so many of them I had to go with the context clues instead. Still, I thought those nautical terms gave the book a distinct personality and I enjoyed every part of it.
I can related to this. I also reached a point where I had to understand some things based on the context. The author could have thought of minimizing the technical sea voyage terms, espeecially, the terms occurred in a single scene.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

The terminology made me feel irritated. I was bored with the book because of this and didn't want to continue further.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 22:48 I did have to reach for the dictionary when nautical terms showed up, but they didn't bother me. I do wish the author has included footnotes explaining their meanings to save us from looking them up though.
I am in total support of this. The footnotes would have helped some of us a lot. At times, reading a sentence or a paragraph only to find a new vocabulary may be tempting as one assumes and moves on without looking it up. The footnotes will be really valuable.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 09:47 The terminology made me feel irritated. I was bored with the book because of this and didn't want to continue further.
I hope this was in the section of setting up the tow. The sea terminologies were very many. One word that I found over-used was 'aft' till I was wondering if it had multiple meanings. I hope you did not quit reading the book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I love all the technical jargon about working on a ship. The Warhorse tug. Come-alongs, heavy blocks. Gotta haul gear on the windward side. Foc'sle. Can you stream a line and a light for getting a tow? Fill the engine room with Halon to put out the fire. Ship cobbled with jury-rigs, old sensors and air valves which often jammed shut. Rebuilt the winches, the big tony bit, new wire ties. Travis is the best kid splicing wire, I ever saw. Buckhorns calls warhorse an ancient useless scow. Warhorse was a low, old style, deep-seating wide squat, with a mostly open rear deck, huge towing winches. Aircraft too, have great descriptions - A big stubby four-propeller Coast Gaurd aircraft. Charlie Sheldon is a great story teller.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Books like this usually throw me off and I can't enjoy them. Its a bit easier when you have internet and can just click an unknown word on the tablet. But after a while, it's hard to stay in the story when you're all the time having to look something up.
amymc1306
Currently Reading: Three Sisters, Three Queens
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amymc1306.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by amymc1306 »

I too found some of the terminology to be difficult. I had to look up some of the phrases and words. I did find the terminology diminished in the latter part of the book though making it more enjoyable for me. I struggled to get in to the story because of the terminology but I persisted because I began to like some of the characters and wanted to know what happened to them.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Terminology in a novel that is too technical can be a pain, but at the same time, I don't mind - I think it lends the story authenticity and makes it more immersive so I tend to give authors like Sheldon a pass :D
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Can't tell my aft from my starboard and couldn't find my way from one end of a boat to the other without help, but I don't think that gets in the way if the story is good enough. I thought the first chapter of 'Adrift' was fast-paced and gripping. It was clear enough what was happening, even if I wasn't always sure if it was happening at the front of the boat, back of the boat, left-hand side... :)

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”